Kramer to Seinfeld:

I Learned My Lesson

After N-Word Meltdown

9/28/2012 7:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

092812_richards_launch_v2
Michael Richards is telling Jerry Seinfeld ... he's still pretty damaged from the fall-out of his infamous N-word laced tirade at the "Laugh Factory" ... and refuses to return to the comedy stage ... but insists he has learned his lesson.

TMZ posted the shocking video back in Nov. 2006 -- when the former "Seinfeld" star repeatedly pointed to an African-American heckler and called him a "n**ger" while in the middle of his comedy set.

At one point, Richards even said, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

But in a brand new interview on Jerry Seinfeld's Crackle TV show, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee," Richards opens up about the incident, telling Jerry he's finally learned that entertainment is all about the audience ... not about the performer.

"Now that’s a lesson I learned 7 years ago when I blew it in the comedy club and lost my temper because somebody interrupted my act and said some things that hurt me and I lashed out in anger."

"I took it too personally ... and I should have just said, 'Yeah you're absolutely right. I'm not funny ... I'll go home work on my material and I'll see you tomorrow night.'"

Richards also says he "busted up" after the incident ... and hasn't performed a comedy act since. He also thanked Jerry for sticking by his side throughout the years ... saying, "[Your support] meant a lot to me."

Rigo

To be fair, they were interrupting . =)

GailS

He's learned nothing if he thinks the only thing he did wrong was to be selfish. What a loser.

K

Enough already. Seinfeld is right...it's time to put that baggage down. He didn't kill anyone. EVERYONE says things they don't really mean in anger. He's human. Human's are fallible.

MISERABLE66

TEAM KRAMER!!!!

Sincerity

I suspect that Michael Richards' residual income isn't what it used to be and he "NEEDS TO GO BACK TO WORK" BUT NO PRODUCER WILL TOUCH HIM!!! Hecklers will be hecklers, PURE AND SIMPLE!!! They're a "FIXED COMPONENT" within the comedy genre. Michael Richards didn't handle his very well which is "WHY" he's been "BLACKLISTED". However, if he seriously wants to "JUMP START" his career, he should start doing "STAND UP" again. Facing audiences will give him some clue as to whether he has "WHAT IT REALLY TAKES TO SUCCEED" beyond his association with the Seinfeld TV Show.

Pila

I was at the Comedy Store in the late 80's and I witnessed an incident where Mr. Richards was not particularly funny that night and he refused to exit the stage after his allotted time had expired. Management and the next comedian were telling him to get off stage and he refused. An African American patron chimed in about getting off the stage and saying that he wasn't funny. Mr. Richards went off on the guy. It was "N" this and "N" that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but I'm not sure that this isn't something instilled in his psyche. I hope that he's learned something over the years as we all should.

Rhonda C. Poynter

While I find his behavior and language that night to possibly be rooted in much more than 'having a bad night', I do think that MR has been made a sacrificial lamb, of sorts. The entertainment field continues to put up with the racism of idiots like Colter and Limbaugh, and morons like Lohan and KK are celebrated for their morally objectional behavior. My blunt, from the South Side of Chicago opinion? He f##### up. But if his name had been Morton Downey, Jr., the abovementioned RL or AC, this would have been over seven years ago, and that's what is sad - we continue to be told when it is okay to be an a%%%%, and we accept it.

makaveli

There's black people and there's *****s and the *****s have got to go.....
Chris Rock was damn right and you know it.
This dude doesn't have to apologize. He got the balls to say that idiotic word that those dumb ass idiots are using twice and more in every sentence.
**** you hypocrites.

Miley is a whore

what a s***bag

3Storms

He shouldn't apologize. He's done it enough. And all his one-sided double-standard critics need to remember racist black audience members starting hurling racism at him first and he threw it right back in their faces after getting fed up with them trashing and interrupting his show.

Jen

Every time I've been in a comedy club, there are loud black people there who ruin it for others. Every. Single. Time. They talk over the comedian & act stupid & disrespectful & play with their phones. I don't blame him ONE BIT for losing his sh*t although it, ultimately, he only hurt himself. There isn't a non-black person in this country who hasn't though "stupid, loud-mouthed n*gger" at least 100 times in their lives, but Michael Richards just exploded & said it out loud & then it was taped... but you just can't blame him.

CLINT

What he said was very hateful and bigotted, but I see the same thing on this TMZ site everyday by a lot of the posters, black and white. So many angry and hateful people on this site alone, I can only imagine what it's like in the rest of the country. Until we all learn a new way of talking, racism and hate will be prevalent and we will always hate each other. We talk about how much other countries hate us. Well we hate them too. This is not a local thing, this is something that is worldwide. It is what will eventually destroy us as people and as a country.

girlyxxo

He is my favorite comedian on that show and I really think he has great talent, this thing happened 7 years ago....LET IT GO people make mistakes say stuff they don't really mean , at the end he is human, and one of the funniest comedians, I support him 100%
I still watch Seinfeld and laugh especially at Kramer.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

You should be Damn Lucky you didnt go after Jews like you did Blacks!!! If that was the case- You would be DEAD in the entertainment industry, In Hollywood, New York and AOL!!!! They control the world of entertainment-- The Jews would allow you to Belttle every race, Religion, Cult and Creed--BUT never speak Badly of JEWS

PBezukov

Hey TMZ why'd you have to play his bad night again? He's trying to get away from that. We all saw it a thousand times back when it happened. He's miserable about it, he regrets it, it was a fear-based, panicky reaction to heckling when you're up there on the stage by yourself, and he lost control. And he apologized, over and over. And here you guys are playing the effing thing again. Come on. Give the poor bastard a break.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments