DJ Paul

I Had NO IDEA Tasers

Were Illegal in NYC

10/15/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1015_dj_paul_article
Three 6 Mafia member DJ Paul tells TMZ ... he shouldn't be considered a criminal for carrying a taser around NYC ... claiming he simply didn't know it was illegal.

As we previously reported, the rapper was arrested late last night when cops approached him about carrying an open can of beer in public (a Corona) ... when they learned he was packin' a taser.

"I honestly didn't know it was illegal," Paul tells us ... adding, "I thought it was at the same level as pepper spray."

Paul continues, "My bodyguard wasn't around last night and I was by myself in NYC and anything can happen in the late hours down there."

Paul says he plans to fight the charges -- telling us, "I have a clean record and don't want to dirty it up for something minor like this ... I wasn't carrying it to go out and harm someone."

Eddie

No Humans Involved.

Mumra the Ever Living

". . . I wasn't carrying it to go out and harm someone."
> Exactly what other reason is there to have a taser? Tasers were built to harm people.

lookItsMegRyan

He has a point.

Kangadrew

i wish they were legal to carry. they're non-lethal.

Tammy

I, too, was surprised that tasers are illegals. It seems ridiculous. Where do you get a permit to carry a concealed taser?

Truth

YEA, WELL MACHINE GUNS AND SUPER ASSAULT RIFLES ARE ILLEGAL TOO... BUT MOST PEOPLE DONT CARRY THEM ON THEIR BODY IN PUBLIC AND THEN CLAIM STUPIDITY. BUT WHATCHA GONNA DO. "Bad boys, bad boys... whatcha gonna do when they come for you!"
#TRUTH!!

Elsa

Ignorance of the Law is no excuse as they say.
The DA will probably use this case to send a message that tasers are no bueno.

Sassy

I'm from NY and had no idea it was illegal. I'd want to carry one around my damned self. It can get pretty wild in NYC, even in safe areas. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised it's illegal. Ever road the subway home late at night?

Jimmy jamz

Yeah pepper spray is also illegal stupid.

laffnbear

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
WHAT DID HE THINK A TASER WOULD do?

Fuck Celebrities

Why is this "person" alive?

Trevis Miho

Haha, if he had a gun on him people would be like "Yup, typical rapper, blah blah blah". If he had NOTHING on him and something were to have happened, people would wonder why he didn't at least have SOMETHING to protect himself with - whether people like it or not he is a celeb...dude has an Oscar..an OSCAR!! I like DJ Paul, he's a good guy, and hearing he had a tazer on him lets me know he wasn't out there to start any trouble, he was just out and about enjoying New York and knows the dangers. I personally would've had a knife on me just to feel safe - I guess there's no winning unless you have a bodyguard.

Latch Johnson

I guess we have to assume his record is cleaner than he is cause brotha is one nasty looking dude

Rich

Come on. Another RAP CRAP LOSER

verlinda

Tried to by a Taser online. First thing they ask is the State you live in. No go. Illegal here in Michigan also.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments