« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

Booted from Nike

Steps Down from Livestrong

10/17/2012 5:57 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1010_lance_armstrong_article
Nike has ended its contract with Lance Armstrong -- claiming the athlete "misled" the company amid allegations of doping.

"Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him," the company says.

Armstrong also announced he will step down as chairman of the Livestrong cancer-fighting charity as of this morning. Nike says they will continue to support the organization.

"To spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career, I will conclude my chairmanship," Armstrong says in a statement.

The move comes a week after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released a report detailing Armstrong's direct involvement in what it called "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."

As we previously reported, Lance has been banned from cycling for life ... but he still denies any wrongdoing.

1017_lance_armstrong_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Shannon

Yet, MIchael Vick can abuse animals and be convicted of doing so and they keep him on! WTF?!

Shannon

And yet Michael Vick abuses animals and Nike endorses him with no problem. WTF is wrong with this picture!?

Mandy G.

Nike did the right thing. Now they need to dump the dog-murdering convicted felon, Michel Vick,

Caleigh

I wonder if thats why Sheryl Crow dumped his ass?
He was an inspiration for kids, that anything is possible and I guess it is if you cheat and use enhancers

zsircher

You guys are all haters. Regardless of his likeability he is a hero to many cancer survivors and victims.

Lance did more for the sport of cycling than anyone since LeMond. Actually can anyone name a former winner- no.

Nike I am disgusted with you- lance represents more than just lame cycling he is a symbol of strength, courage and committment something you do not respect so I will never buy Nike again.

Walter WalkerIII

sucks that Tiger Woods got booted from Nike the next day, what was that all about

Latch Johnson

One month ago everyone on here tearing him down was supporting him. Just shows how ignorant the masses are.

Jerry in Dallas

Finally, it seemed like I was the only one who thought this guy was an *******. I've never liked him as he always seemed like an arrogant SOB. He is definitely a schmuck!!!

* If you don't know what a schmuck is, go ahead and look it up. You will have a great laugh!!!

katie10

well, if everyone was doping..he still won!

david

He made himself available for every test and never failed one and maintained he has never doped....there is no proof....i dont get it

Peter Sc

I have stopped supporting cancer research. I urge others to do the same. I don't like doping and I believe that it was doctors related to cancer treatment who stumbled over performance improving medicin making all this start.

So no more money to cancer research from me.

tellmeaboutit

I've never liked the arrogant Armstrong and always wondered whether the long standing accusations about him were true. But it's interesting that Nike chose to drop him when they're known to continue to sponser alot of douchey athletes, including Tiger Woods and Michael Vick.
Could it be that they did it because of the deal they made with the Olympic Committee for uniform sponsership? Trying to make themselves look better? Seems likely the timing isn't just a coincidence.

P. Jank.

Ok, Lance Armstrong is totally in the wrong... but how is it possible that Michael Vick tortures and kills dogs, fails illegal drug tests and still gets a contract and most of his sponsors back? Nike is full of ****, how can they drop Lance Armstrong and keep Michael Vick? Figures!

Lance Armstrong fought back from cancer. He always has been a talent. I`m very sorry it ended this way. Another thing, test all the runners in the field during the event and come to a ruling then, not five or six years later. It`s a great disservice to sport and athletes.

Freer

What pisses me off was how arrogant he was in his book and denying what is now obvious. His book made me feel he was lying when I read it and know its been confirmed. I would have had more respect for him had he been honest instead of acting like he was some kind of a super human.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5