Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

laffnbear

Ungrateful snot.
Your parents make numerous sacrifices for many years to raise a child. Then this selfish, self-centered twerp refuses to help his family?
UN BELIEVABLE.

Truth

DINT THIS HAS-BEEN WANNABE SINGER HAVE SURGERY ON HIS KIDNEYS AND SH*T AFTER IDOL??? YEA, I'M SURE THAT CAME OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET. HE'S BROKE ASS. HELL, THE KID OWES ADVANCES BACK TO INTERSCOPE RECORDS BEFORE HE OWES PAPA PHILLIPS ANYTHING. STAND IN LINE PAPA P... RECORDING CONTRACTS ARE THE WORST. UNLESS YOU WRITE/PRODUCE ALL THE SONGS YOUR FINANCES ARE JACK SQUAT. #TRUTH!!

Parker

parents like this make me sick...yeah its all his fault your business id failing........not.....another piece of crap family that wants to live off the kids fame...we've seen how families can phk up a child with thier greed ...ie: Jacksons....Lohans......Biebers......etc......and now these fools. low life azzoles!

Local

This story is the biggest load of made up crap. His family is holding an auction, which they have done before, to get rid of stuff in the pawn shop. It has been for sale for a long time. He has not turned his back on them. He gave his mom the car he won. He was just home for Halloween and to spend time with them. I know them personally and this is a crap story.

Amalia

This kid a jerk ! Never trust someone that has two first names . Phillip Phillip , ya I never liked him didn't think he should of won anyways ! Jessica should of won .

zombie

So, let me get this straight, the father, who is an adult, has a mounting debt and expects his son to pay it off because his son made something of himself, and the father wasn't responsible enough to handle his own debts?

ChuckA41

I'd be pissed if my name was Phillip Phillips. His family gets what they deserve for embarassing him with the stupid name. If its any consolation to them, I have no idea who the dude is.

Max

There's got to be more to this story. However, if I just got my big break and someone asked me for $250K to pay the debts of a pawn shop, I too would say no. The shop ran up debts of a quarter million and they want to put money INTO it? I think Phillip's the only one who's thinking clearly here. I'll bet the report comes from a cousin or other distant relative who got shut down asking for a handout.

carbin

Such a s***bag.

janet

Who?

Michelle

If its true......what a dick!! Good luck with those album sales, Dick!

Reader

This article is such a dirty lie. How on earth did you come up with this load of junk???
Phillip's parents wanted to sell their business for some time already, even before the Idol.
Singer's "silence"? He is there now, visiting with his family. He didn't return your calls?
Maybe you should consider speaking the truth first, then expect people return your calls.

Melissa1987

TMZ didnt u guys post a story about them planning to sell the pawn shop anyways? Right after he won they said they were going to sell this shop. I guess his family thought after he won he becomes an instant millionaire and he would take care of them for the rest of their lives. Life doesn't work like that.

Reader

I guess TMZ crew is itself "high and dry" so that they had to come us with this load of junk -- just to get some readers sign up and comment on their website, bringing its ratings up.
Dirty people.

LISA

Perhaps he needed the money to pay for his congenital kidney condition, which required several procedures and a five-hour operation this past year?

I think his family should be more concerned about his health than anything. Kid had a tough year with his health and trying to keep up with the demands of his Idol contract.