Jazz Legend Dave Brubeck

Dead at 91

12/5/2012 8:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1204_dave_brubeck
Famed jazz pianist Dave Brubeck -- the man behind the famous song "Take Five" -- has died.

Brubeck's manager said the music icon passed away in Connecticut this morning due to heart failure, while on his way to a cardiology appointment. He was 91.

His birthday is tomorrow.

Brubeck was a living legend -- having written several jazz staples like "In Your Own Sweet Way," "Blue Rondo à la Turk," and "The Duke." The Dave Brubeck quartet recorded "Take Five" all the way back in 1959.

In 1954, Brubeck was the first modern jazz musician to be featured on the cover of Time magazine.

Brubeck is survived by his wife, four sons, a daughter, grandsons and a great granddaughter.

Wow ...

RIP. Condolences to the family and friends.

mikeman

a true legend and pioneer for one of the most uniquely american of art forms. sad day, but i know what i'll be listening to for the rest of the work day...

Kathy

Thought it was Chevy Chase before I read the heading.

Gretel

R.I.P. after a long life. Thanks for the music.

HAHAHA

Well, he isnt an athletic teen who has his songs written for him so I doubt any one from this generation will give a **** sadly...

Truth

RIP OLD DUDE... FINALLY A RESPECTED CELEB WHO NEVER DID DRUGS, BOOZE ALL HIS LIFE, SMOKED WEED, AND KEPT HIS CROTCH COVERED. NOW THAT'S GENIUS ON THE PIANO.. #TRUTH!!

Lucy

Prayers to his family and friends.

Frankenpussy

I am 40 years old and I have never even heard of this guy or any of his songs! This must be important news for old timers like Harvey....

jeff

NOOOO! He had his whole life ahead of him. Why god? WHY HIM?

Moni

RIP I really love his music...a true legend.

CloBird

Rest in peace, Dave Brubeck, he was a true music icon.

TMZ dont like me

Wow, I remember hearing his song, "Take Five", being used in a few movies, TV shows, and commercials. I really like that song, but I never really had an inclination to find out what the name of it was, or who performed it. Sad I had to find out like this.....R.I.P. Mr. Brubeck

Turk182

RIP Dave. Your music will live on forever! People some call "musicians" these days, could learn much from you and your music.

Caterina

Unsquare Dance was one of my favorite pieces by him. He is truly a legend & will be missed. I expect to hear Take Five played when I meet him in the afterlife.

Nancy

At the risk of sounding insensitive, is that the death photo?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments