PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

marybklyn

All this America bashing over a TMZ thread about some song that has already lost its thunder...scholars and politicians you all are!

crojasr

This must be one of the ugliest man in the planet :/

Cats777

It's not even his song. He just took a small part in it after an American tank ran over 2 Korean school girls and the soldiers were acquitted. He was angry. We all get angry. What he's doing today is making people happy, and isn't that what really matters?

Uk

Wop wop wop wop wop it gangham style. Llloooovvvveeee ittttttttt

stephanie

""""I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted.""""

He didn't apologize for what he said, this isn't an apology. He only apologized for how we interpret his words, not the fact that he said them. He is an untalented idiot.. Never liked him, never will.

flap

Boooooo you whore

muga24

OMG people it was in 2004 and it looks like he was in some weird gothic band . there are a lot of people that did thing that they regret and wish they can take back.

soladood

aww - dont be too hard on him:) Like, I can listen to a MnM cd and hear some pretty nasty twisted **** in there - does that stop from buying his cd? - nope.

And besides - the anti-american jibe is probably related to some anti-war anti-political outcry that was popular or trending there back then - so it makes sense to make songs that talk about this ****. Your own pop artists do the same ….it sells records!

Anyway - he was probably some pot smokin hippy back then - & now he's all grown up and sensible with wife, kids and mortgage.

Or - probably more closer to the truth - this guy is one 'smart' cookie. He 'knows' how to align his ART with what the crowds want to hear & see…regardless of how 'he' actually feels about the song content - this dood needs to pay the rent, put noodles on the table & keep a PS3 stocked up with the latest releases - at least he hasnt had to drop his dacks to do that - and that my friend, takes BRAINS to do.

This dood deserves a standing ovation - whether I hate him, or not!

billybob

nuff said, shoot him!

Gordon Hilgers

As long as he does it gangnam style, I don't see any problem with it. The song itself has killed thousands and thousands already.

Thomas

so he's a liberal he can run for congress

Misty

People are so upset about a song he did 8 years ago, but since 9/11 how many times have Americans cheered the deaths of people from other countries? Gotta love the double standard. We can cry for the heads of other countries soldiers all we want, but if someone else makes one song about us, he's the most horrible person ever.

Uk

Wop wop wop wop wop wop it gangham style heeeeyyyy sexy laidies wop wop wop wop wop wop

Mee

MR PRESIDENT,
WE'RE NOT DYING FOR THIS BACK-STABBING KOREAN TO BE HONORED BY YOU!

virgosiempre

A leopard does NOT change it's spots. He meant what he said but now the financial gains out weigh his true convictions. Not interested in making this man rich.