PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Jay W.

I'm deepwee sowee. Soooo.. sowee.

GaGa38

HE WANT TO KILL AMERICANS......BUT HIS MONEY HE MAKING OF THAT SONG IS AMERICAN MONEY......AMERICANS IS THE REASON U ARE RELEVANT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Nobrows

The only reason he is sorry for it now, is because he is making a lot of money in the U.S. Now that the public has been made aware of this, perhaps they will look at him a little differently. Sounds like his love of money has overtaken his outrage about the war. He has one song that caught on. Time for him to go back home where I believe he is free BECAUSE of those horrible Americans.

Daniel Copeland

No worries, no harm done. I'm an American myself, and sometimes the only way to get a point across to some of the knuckleheads around here is to be shocking about it. Pretty much the only thing Americans respond to these days.

verlinda

Typical..all summer fools were dancing that dance ( btw Chubby Checker called it the Pony ) saying on Post how much they LOVED PSY....NOOOWWWW you want to run his ass back to Korea. You made him rich. You can except everyone but your own, blacks and latinos. People who help built this Country also It's so easy for terrorist and other ass holes to influence the US

yadda yadda

I hope this D-bag will no longer gain attention from our coutnry to bring him any more fame and no more money is taken from our pockets. Ban him from ever setting foot on our beautiful land again.

jetfanglo

ye$ he i$ $orry.........he ha$ di$covered hi$ love for yankee money..

CriticXtreme

What are going to do? Everyone wants to kill Americans. Dude, get paid and enjoy your 15 minutes of Fame because soon it will be 14:59.

PT

Put your sunglasses back on and hide as much of that ugly face as possible.

franz solo

He IS a 1 hit wonder, who cares

AreUCrazy

More like... Americans have made me rich and famous and I want to keep making more money off of them.. so I'll just say "I'm sorry" and hope that the Americans will be stupid enough to keep me relevant.

laffnbear

Now foolish xenophobes will vilify him.
People.. it is only a song.
Few Americans even knew it existed until now.
Grow up and go about your business, foolish as it may be.

tgrfan42069

when glee covers your song.it is main stream ****

ray

I never understood what people saw in this twerpy goofy looking little richard head. Seriously the whole deal is just too stupid for words. Anyone who even ever thought this putz was in anyway cool, needs to have their life and brain examined.

Straight Talkin Texan

Wow. I recently wrote here (I think) that I was a Psy fan after something good he'd done. He has given what I call a "true apology," not some wussy apology. However, I'm no longer a "fan" of his. I will just be neutral toward him. Those lyrics he wrote/sang were horrific. I despise terrorists, but I wouldn't go as far as Psy did in my sentiments against terrorists. Psy went too far.