PSY

'Deeply Sorry' for Singing

About Killing Americans

12/7/2012 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1207_psy_01

PSY -- the pop singer behind the hit "Gangnam Style" -- says he "will forever be sorry" for performing a song in 2004 that called for the killing of "Yankees" ... and is begging for Americans to accept his apology.

The song in question was called, "Dear Americans" ... and featured the lyrics, "Kill those f*cking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives."

He continues, "Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture ... Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers ... Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Now, PSY has released a statement explaining, "The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

He continues, "While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Read the whole statement after the jump ...

PSY'S STATEMENT:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.  While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Jazzyj

He's a one hit wonder, so relax people!!!!

mssnarnd

FU SEOUL - I have GENERATIONS in my family who have fought for your freedom in this country. My father, mother, both grandfathers, as well as other family members. Today is the anniversary of PEARL HARBOR - my grandma drove her cousin to the train station as he told her, "I don't think I'm coming back." He didn't. He went down on the Arizona. Think of that the next time you listen to PSY.

QueenB

BOYCOTT Gangnam Style.LOL!

QueenB

You can BACK PEDAL your ass back to Korea!!!

mssnarnd

I have GENERATIONS in my family who have fought for your freedom in this country. My father, mother, both grandfathers, as well as other family members. Today is the anniversary of PEARL HARBOR - my grandma drove her cousin to the train station as he told her, "I don't think I'm coming back." He didn't. He went down on the Arizona. Think about the next time you listen to PSY and you're playing PS3 in your basement.

LadyN

F him. That sort of talk has no place anywhere. Singing about torturing and killing innocent people isn't forgivable no matter who the intended victims are. I hate this guy and his impossibly stupid song. He needs to crawl into a hole somewhere and disappear.

Kevin

And the funny thing is, no-one knows what the frick that song is about anyway. O-O-OPPA DAMAGE CONTROL STYLE!

Dr Samuel Weiscrak

meh, who cares. the world was a very different place 8 years ago...

Is down with OPP

Annnd Bingo was his naaameo

Laura

Sometimes, I think people need to get to know Americans to realize what they are really like-- so, yes, water under the bridge. Move on. Nothing to forgive.

Raketemensch

Yeah, because the Americans torturing people at Abu Grahib were totally doing God's work.

IMHO there are definitely some apologies due, but they're not from this guy....

patsfan4life

I don't get why this is shocking, don't most countries hate Americans lol when American go back packing in Europe they can't be seen sporting the American flag without consequences

w h i t e y

Alright you crossed the line buddy..

Parker

and this fool is to perform in front of america and the president.......they will applaud him like nothing happened and that would be shameful....the only reason I am watching is to see Miss Diana Rosss...I dont even know who the rest of the performers are!

Mesadabree