Australian DJs

'Heartbroken'

Over Nurse's Suicide

12/10/2012 5:33 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1210_radio_djsMichael Christian and Mel Greig -- the two Australian radio DJs behind the Kate Middleton hospital prank call that led to the suicide of a nurse -- say they are "incredibly sorry" for what transpired ... as they speak out for the first time.

The pair sat down with "A Current Affair" in Australia and described how they found out that Jacintha Saldanha had taken her life. Michael said they got the news at the same time and Mel called it "the worst phone call I've ever had in my life."

The DJs have been off the air since the incident, which they say has weighed on them ever since. Mel explained, "There’s not a minute that goes by that we don’t think about the family and what they must be going through and the thought we might have played a part in that is discouraging ... I wanted to just to reach out to them and give them a hug and say sorry, I actually do feel sorry, I really do."

Mel's attitude toward the prank was different before Saldanha took her life ... as TMZ first reported, she posted a photo on Facebook just hours before, joking about how impersonating the Queen should help her score free drinks.

furious cupcakes

I love TMZ and your team, but it's only a matter of time before you are in the same boat as these two. It really is a fine line you all walk exposing, journaling etc the lives of other people before you cause someone to take their own lives as well. Be careful with the words you speak, for one day you will be made to eat them all.

damion

its just funny that many of y'all enjoy "Punk'd" which is all about punking celebs and have no problem with it but are criticizing these unknown djs who dear to punk the Queen. I hate hypocrisy. I am sure the deejays meant no harm and the whole affair is very unfortunate.

gutsygirl

I am frankly tired of hearing how unstable this nurse was. Where is the proof? The Indian Culture is one of deep pride and honor and she felt she had betrayed that. I will not judge the DJ's. They have to live with that.

derek holt

those dj's in aus didn't make that nurse kill herself? it was the hospital bosses i bet they ridiculed her threatened her with all sorts coz she made one mistake she was ashamed because they are a proud people the Indians so shame on the hospital because they know what they they drove that poor woman to her death

mmann

Let's get real. No person in his or her right mind would commit suicide over a silly prank phone call. This nurse was obviously already mentally ill. In which case, she shouldn't have been anywhere near patients. Quit blaming the DJs for this woman's insanity. It's called "background check".

mary

As a nurse myself, I know we are under a lot of pressure and are always made to feel guilty no matter what goes wrong. So she was likely made to feel bad, or possibly beat herself up about it. What was the problem with passing a call through I fail to see to be honest.
I do feel that these people are being made scapegoats. What they did was childish and thoughtless, but you can hardly blame them for this nurse committing suicide. There has to be more to it this this surely. No person who was otherwise OK would do this to her family as a response to one minor incident. I mean, as human beings, nurses occasionally make disastrous mistakes resulting in actual harm, and still don't kill themselves.

mary

Katherine

i call BS on the apology people only ever really apologize when they get caught

Ftiatg

Someone killed the nurse for revealing info about the duchess just like they killed Diana. It was a stupid prank that should've been hung up on, & now they are blaming the djs for the nurse's "suicide". No one kills themselves over a prank call, I can understand the embarrassment from it, but she did not betray royalty, all the info she revealed was already known because Kate's childhood friend revealed it all to the press. It's only a matter of time before the dj's are dead too from an apparent 'suicide'.

waitaminute

We don't even know WHY the nurse killed herself. And we don't even know IF she killed herself. And we don't know HOW she died. Because it follows that call does not necessarily mean (if it is a suicide) the call prompted her suicide. Anyone who kills themselves over something such as that had far bigger issues then just embarrassment over transferring a call. Furthermore, why do these DJ's take the blame when we don't know who, from the hospital management or Scotland Yard or even the Royal security, may have browbeaten that nurse into oblivion. Someone else may be sitting silently knowing all the horrible blame and threats they put on that nurse behind the scenes for putting that call through.

Dave

They're heartbroken because they are out of a job. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

Sierra

"It's not our fault!" "We are innocent!" "It just goes to the other department, and it's out of our hands!"

What a load of "CYA"! Maybe they could not have predicted this outcome, but they seem ANYTHING but remorseful! Lots of sentences and phrases that are clearly talking points from their legal team!

They have a history of doing outrageous stunts that COULD have been forseen a bad outcome....but OH...we were SO innocent!! Douche bags.

Jericho Morton

It has only taken them a week to get the tears trawled up from the silt covered trench of shamelessness where they were stored long ago.

Penny

It's NOT their fault! This woman's death is NOT the fault of the DJs. If someone is willing to kill oneself just becaue they ransferred a phone call, then they had deeper issues. It would be no different than TMZ posting an ariticle about someone and then that person commits suicide. Would it be TMZ's fault? NO

The only person responsible for this woman's death is herself.

Arctic

I absolutely agree with Penny. This woman obviously had mental issues before this happened. I'm really sorry she died, but people need to just get over it. The DJs were not at fault for her death. Maybe her co-workers did tease and bully her. Maybe she was just to high-strung. The media needs to just more on and this will all calm down. I think the media makes it worse.