'Sandy' Tragedies

Parents Will Likely

Steer Clear of Name

12/17/2012 12:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1216_sandy_abc_getty2
The name "Sandy" is not likely to appear on many birth certificates for at least several years -- given 2 enormous recent tragedies with Sandy front and center -- but the reality is the name hasn't been popular for decades.

The evidence is compelling and also pretty obvious -- parents shy away from giving their children names associated with death and destruction, and in 2012, with Hurricane Sandy and the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, the name conjures up those images.

Take Katrina -- immediately before the storm hit, the name was listed as the 281st most popular baby name for girls. The year following the hurricane it dropped to 379th and in 2010 it plunged further to 865.

But here's the thing with Sandy. It's a name whose popularity peaked in the 60s, and has failed to make the list of top 1,000 baby names since 2005. Sandra ranked somewhat higher, but still a relatively unpopular 614 last year.

Pamela Satran from Nameberry tells TMZ,"The mass murder at Sandy Hook is so horrible that we think parents will avoid Sandy as a name for a long time."

Stacy

Please remove this post. As a mother of a beautiful son named Sandy (he is named after his wonderful grandfather) who is the same age as the beautiful angels that perished in Newtown, I can't believe you would precipitate this negative energy!! Very disappointing!!

karlew

My grandaughter was born the day after this tragedy. They alreay had a girls name picked out. I asked though what if they had picked the name Sandra or Sandy, would they still have named her that? My daughter said yes they would have because you just can't let sicko freaks like Lanza affect your life, gives him power he should never had.

LISA

Geez, TMZ ... I'm sure nobody would have noticed the link if you hadn't pointed it out. I have a friend named Sandra, and I never thought of the hurricane or the masacre, until now. STUPID ARTICLE.

LISA

I'm sure nearly every name can be linked to something tragic if you do do some research. This article is ridiculous and in poor taste IMO.

Tmzfan

Just a reminder, this is TMZ. Not sure most commenters know this.

CN

Stupidest story ever. Even for TMZ.

Zorbitor

It's hard to find a bottle of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer..

Larry

Of course Sandy is not a popular name according to birth records. That's because Sandy is almost always a nickname for either Sandra or Alexandra.

BellaBoo

It's been a rough year. :-/

Lucy

Many parents name their children after someone to honor them, so I would be proud to name a child Sandy. I would never, however, name a child Lindsay.

mandii~sue

Seriously people this is TMZ. They are not a real news source. They are a gossip sight. Quit commenting like they are CNN or something

Woot

My name is Sandi. Now what?

Mark

Who cares about this stupid article?!?!?! U *******s will do anything to make a story. Stop flaunting it in people's faces. No one cares about the name Sandy. The media is garbage.

Commentator Prime

This is such classless material TMZ, shame on you.

IceGypsy

That's daft, it's just a name, and a great name at that. Has been my nickname since I was 5, and have no intention of changing that.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments