Judd Apatow

I Wrote Child Murder Jokes

YEARS AGO For 'This Is 40'

12/19/2012 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1219_thisis40

Judd Apatow meant no harm in his script for "This Is 40" when one of the characters jokingly plays a "murder game" with his kids.  Judd tells us, he wrote the script 2 years ago, long before the Connecticut tragedy.

The scene in question involves the Albert Brooks' character, who is broke and looking for ways to save money.  The character, Larry, prepares to spray his triplets with a hose and says, "Line up! Line up for murder!  Come on!  Who wants to be killed?"

One of the kids screams, "I do!"  Larry responds, "Okay, we're eliminating one, we're cheaper already," and then Larry sprays the child.

The next kid says, "Murder me!"  Larry responds, "Boom, dead.  You're dead," adding, "All right, the kids are murdered.  That will save us some money."

Judd tells us, the scene "is spoken by a sarcastic father kidding with his children.  In light of recent events, I understand if some people might make an unfortunate association or put it in a context in which it was not intended."

We've learned the scene is staying in the movie, which opens Friday.

1219_subasset_script_WM

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Is this going to be like when they didn't want to show movies where the twin towers were visible? What are people supposed to do, lock ourselves up so nothing reminds us of tragedy?

andre herring king

I AM THE KING OF ART ANDREHERRING

Julie

OMG people! Yes, the tragedy is indeed a huge tragedy, but people (and mainly the media) CAN NOT relate everything to that horrible incident. Instead of makinf a fuzz with every movie or comment that involves violence, why not talk about something really serious and extremely necessary, which is the very lenient laws regarding the carrying of firearms? firearms DO NOT bring any benefits except death and tragedy. And self protection is just a lame excuse!

HAHAHA

Its called Humor America... go #$%^ your selfs.

Who is the parent

TMZ between the Kei$ha thing and this you really are missing the whole point re this. 1) What happened on December 14, 2012 had nothing to do with them it was what had to do with a sick individual who should of been in a mental institution or receiving proper professional care. If you are looking to blame someone you can but it wont change anything or what happened. Put the focus on what it needs to be and that is this country needs to come together to help prevent this from ever happening again. Censorship re an artists music or Hollywood isn't the answer what is?...Well we all need to start with ourselves and that is mental health and how it is dealt with in this country. So you should start with how you covered mental health. Look at your website in archives and see how you treated those who clearly had/have mental isuses and see what YOU can do to help reshape our perception of it. What I mean is instead of laughing at them and poking fun highlight they are trying to get better or at the very least that others are trying to help them get better

Dargatron5000

Wow, people are being way too sensitive about things that are completely unrelated to the massacre. Are they going to wipe out all action flicks from the movie stores because they involve guns?? Everyone feels horrible about what happened, you don't need to make them feel worse about doing something out of context!

SakkeL

come on tmz, grow up!

Jenn

I really don't get the joke. It doesn't sound like a funny or clever scene at all. If you're going to use controversial jokes, then at least be like Seth McFarland and make them funny.

thayersgirl

Some part of me wants the world to end the 21st just so I don't have to be subjected to such idiocy.

Louis

I saw a screening of this film, it is the worst piece of crap and least funny Judd Apatow film he has made. That scene about killing his kids wasn't funny when i saw the film 2 weeks ago before the shootings and I thought it was in bad taste then. All the acting in the film is good, the writing is just awful, I usually like Judd Apatow films, I kept wondering why Judd thought people would think this film was funny. I’m sure it will be his biggest flop. Just wish I could have that 2 hours of my life back.

beak

I get the joke. whats the difference ....kids play cowboys an a indians , soldiers, cops an robbers with toy guns. All killing games. We did as children years ago nothing has changed. We see more horriffic crimes because population has risen. Remember Manson, the killings at colleges in the 60s, Bundy, ect...all in the past and just as horriffic. Gun bans will keep gins in the hands of the killers and leave people defenseless like sheep in a slaughter house.

Shadow

Even if Newtown didn't happen, it's not a funny joke. Bad judgement and horrible writing.

Sassy

Another nonstory like the Ke$ha bit, and now that poor girl is scrambling like mad for fear of being nationally hated when her song IS IN NO WAY THE REASON LANZA KILLED ALL THOS PEOPLE.

Are the media really this bored and ignorant to try to attach and relate things that have absolutely nothing to do with Sandy Hook and Lanza's mental health?

How about taking time to write stories about the victims instead of victimizing innocent celebs. I understand you need some crap to fill your sites about celebs, but this is getting ridiculous and it's careless journalism.

Jimbob

I never played Murder with my parents but I did play hidden treasure with a nice old man down the street.

Hamptonsdude

It's a bad, unfunny movie, which few people will see. What's the difference? This is just to drum up publicity other than the fact that the movie stinks.