Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

cass

Spike Lee IS a RACIST... and a moron to boot

Who the FK cares what he thinks... he's a washed-up director who's movies ALWAYS SUCKED!

Truth is

Shaddup....white people were/are disrespectful of your ancestor....not a freaking movie....it's art imitating life & visa versa

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Hey Spikey, how about your ancestors who SOLD your ancestors to American slaveowners? Hello? *crickets* Thought so. Merry Christmas!

Peter Popoff

You racist are funny I know the trailor park is getting crowded because you are now a minority lol go take another hit of meth and come on back and Rant.

jeff

Spike Lee? Is he still around? Has he done anything since Do the right thing?

puddintang

A few days ago I watched a 12 hour marathon of Roots on BET. I'm sure the N word was uttered more than 110 times in that movie. But I'm guessing it was OK because it was a movie based on a black man's novels? I don't plan on seeing Django anyway so I don't really care. Just pointing out some hypocrisy.

DudeLebowski

Spike Lee is a racist POS. All his comments are going to do is to get more people to go and see the movie. I'm sure that will make him happy....

charlotte renee jackson

Iz it that serious

Ace

Lots of guns and violence in the trailer to this picture...I expect to see Code Pink protesting at all the theaters as well as interrupting Quentin Tarentinos press junkets...(Purposefully being ironic, because you know you want here a peep from the ani-gun folks about this)

Lee

It is not anybody's fault that Spike is a no talent director who has never made a decent movie but he is trying his best to blame the whites. Why not blame the Asians or the American Indians. How about Muslims or Neanderthals? Makes about as much sense. Go snort another line, Spike. Oh and where did your "name" come from? A very talented white guy............Spike Lee, who was using that name before you were even born. What a jerk you are!!!

HAHAHA

I think giving the address of two random elderly people on twitter and telling them that a racisist 20 somthing year old killer lives there tops anything that this movie could do...

will

"My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa."

Actually Mr Lee , Your Ancestors were SOLD by your other ancestors to in all countrys into slavery. It was the USA that freed them.

ACE DEUCEY

Spike, until you see the film and can comment on it intelligently, shut your yap.

reenypie77

Oh Spike is still alive? Ok then...first, you're ancestors were stolen from Africa? Ok well if you put it that way then why don't you do everyone a favor and go back on their behalf? If you think that your life would be better in Africa and all of your followers for that matter than please for the love of God just get on the boat in which your ancestors were carried on and trot right on back to where you came from. And P.S. blacks say the "n" word all the time and use "cracker" and poke fun at whites along with other races at all times but that's ok for you. When you're making a film in which you have a bunch of blacks in a room together and in real life they call eachother the "n" word all Quentin is doing is bringing the reality to the film. You pretty much look ridiculous every time you open your mouth Spike and keep us laughing, that's for sure.

ROTTIE

This movie could well be perceived as"disrespectful if it undermines to ANY extent the suffering former slaves had to endure; However, it's astronomical in a great way how progressively advanced the African American race has come from being slaves to "PLAY'N" slaves in the movies.