Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Mike

Spike should know. He has set the bar for racism in films. Can't blame him for being upset that someone went further. Wait til he understands Biden's diatribe about slavery. He'll be furious that he didn't get there first.

sam

quenten's next movie is going to be a hip edgy postmodern pastiche about the newtown school shooting. There are going to be tons of shots of kids getting their heads blown off that will reference obscure movies only the coolest cinephiles in the know will catch. Don't worry though it won't be offensive cuz its obviously ironic.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, Spike Lee is just jealous.

Allupinyourearhole

I dont cate how many times the n-word is used ..its always just been a word of degredation and never had any true meaning ...but slaves did not have the luxury of coming after a slave owner by killing every thing in the way. It was a hell on earth that took the strongest of the strong on this planet to go through it.

laugh at you fools

It's some really sad dumb people that post on this page.

Bill

The word should NEVER be used! But Spike doesn't mind if folks of his own color use it. His words carry now weight. Hypocritical at best.

Cmalone

Maybe Spike is trying to detour his cyber bully comments during the Martin trial. Is there anyone besides Jesse and Sharpton that could pull off being a moron so well.

We get it Spike you've had a hard life sitting courtside at BB games and being paid to make movies telling us all how bad we are.

Tweeder

Listen my ancestors were in slaved by the Egyptians for hundreds of years and I still watched the Ten Commandments and scorpion king

Seamus

I doubt Quentin really doesn't care. When was the last time Spike put out a decent movie anyway? Spike claiming to be offended for his ancestors would be like me hating the British for their treatment of the Scots. Racism is a real and important issue, but jackasses like Spike Lee saying stupid things like this don't help the issue.

Tweeder

How come all the black people get mad when people bring up the fact that the slaves were sol to America by other black people. How come white people don't bring up the fact that the Egyptians which are from Africa had white slaves for hundreds of years?

lynn331977

In that case there is something wrong with you as well Spike !

DeWitt

I too think Quentin T. (the "honky bastard" is obviously a racist who probably hates African Americans. He shows he doesn't hang out with the brothers, or, he'd be blacker around his eyes. Disrespectful bastard.

Leave It Alone

Spike Lee is a jealous racist. I can't wait to see Django Unchained!

thebigalphamale

hey spike F you.. I wont be watching any of your ****ty movies... no big surprise since the majority of them suck dick anyways you reverse racist..

D.Trump

Of course it is, QT makes movies for whites not Blacks...it's like everything else in this racist country...no surprise..hell read the racist comments here....

D.Trump

why are whites so racist?