Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

rawdad

It's okay, because this generations full acceptance of defacing their nations history is bringing these white people, and these know it all kids today right to the place they they need to be in.

Chaz

Why don't you rip Jamie Fox for starring in the movie? . You Disrespected the Jewish Nation by calling what happen to your ancestors a Holocaust . If Alex Haley did this movie would it been O.K. ? Racial Profiling at it's best.!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IN THE WORLD

Spike,
If you don't like QT's movies, just don't go see them. For you to trash QT's new movie and you haven't seen it and don't plan to see it is JUST PLAIN STUPID! Go read a book and brush up on your history!

KimTx

Dude I'm black and I can't stand Spike Lee. He's bashing a movie he hasn't even seen, how dumb is that?! He's just mad that QT is cooler, richer, and far more awesome.

NetG

Hey Spike...learn your history before you open your mouth and make yourself look like an ignorant fool, unless that's your goal...in which case...keep it up!

ashley

Someone sounds a little jealous & seems to have their panties in a wad. Yea, Spike needs to get over it. It IS part of history, uhhh, right?!?!?!

Jack kishon

Spike Lee has a slight anger problem, and, probably for life. Not very different from what appeared to be bothering Kanye West. It does take away from the perception he is genius.

bongjohnson

Any Black person who has respect for themselves and for their ancestors knows that they should be thankful for what these Americans did for them. They brought them OUT of slavery by bringing them OUT of Africa where they were already slaves. ***** Pleeez, this is just another white man bashing bullshiza flick brought to you by yet another bleeding heart Panda. Q.T.

bongjohnson

Clearly he needs to go see a real movie like Les Miseables with Hugh Jackman. One of the few real men left in Showbiz.

Glenn

HEY Shelton! Quit being so angry for getting beat up as a kid for havin' a silly first name.... You using "Spike" as your first name is more disrespectful.....

ragesRemorse

lol That's funny, because If mr good Spike would go check his history, he might learn something about the triangular trade. I have yet to see this movie, but from the trailer, and having been keeping up with this story. I am all but positive that this movie is not condoning slavery, but rather using it to tell a badass story of inspiration. That's just tarantinos style. I'm sure the movie will display the ignorance and ugliness that man kind is capable of, but what i'm also thinking is that the movie will try to convey hope, under that that hatred...,i just wish spike would take that stick out of his ass and stop hating on people. Get it over it bro, stop living in the past and start living in the present...,times have changed, it's this stuff that slows us down. People, look up to you Spike, stop dividing and start uniting, man. Damn, i feel like i need to make a movie just to educate Spike lee on what it means to be a human being, lord knows he's made a living making movies showing everyone how it feels to be a horrible white person, and an innocent black man.

ragesRemorse

Greg

you meant to say: "my ancestors were sold by their own people, then spent the remainder of the future blaming every white person for it"............one could also add: "i can't even acknowledge those in the world who are also opposed to it based on THEIR skin color, so i am simply a hypocrit and nothing more"

norvegicusbass

I get really tired of blacks honoring their ancestors but ignoring that balcks were heavily involved and prospered from the slave trade. It wasnt black is good white is bad Spike ( I am British BTW and dont know who this Spike is )

Anonymous

Wow! All of the negative and racist comments are indeed bad. What happened to just simply stating your opinion without all of the animosity and hostility? Anywho, I have never used the "n" word because I believe it is derogatory and disrespectful. However, I have friends who are racist to other races as well and I don't condone that either in my presence. To me, two wrongs don't make a right and why is it that some (that goes for all races) tend to dwell on the past? Life is about forward movement but it seems as though many people are still stuck in a rut. Live, learn and get over it. GEESH!