Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Buck Runner

Hey French Ribera the TEA party spells moron as "moran" you "moran" . The famous TEA party quote online is "Get a brain Morans" google it. LOL

ts

For someone who has nothing to say about a film, he sure has said a lot.

Bblahblah

Who even cares about Spike Lee's opinion on anything? I have never seen a Spike Lee movie that I liked, but on the other hand I like several of Tarantino's flicks. Poor little guy is just sore that he really isn't all that relevant anymore. When was the last time Spikey did anything good? Inside Man? That was six years ago. Now he is making an Inside Man 2. What's next? Do the Right Thing 2? Yo Spike, quit hatin'

DiamondDoll81

I feel ya Spike. I'm glad you're not speaking for all of us because I'm going to watch and enjoy this film but I do understand what you're saying and I respect you standing by your beliefs. Just from the look at some of these comments I can see racism is still alive and going strong in the world. SMH

wayne

Quentin makes good movies and Spike makes bad movies, so who is right?

Tom Cruise

I would tell Spike Lee and the rest of the Libs that there is no such thing as an African American, most couldn't even find it on an Atlas and have never been there. Your American or your not, period.

Tom Cruise

Spike Lee is envious that Quentin just makes way better movies than him. Spike Lee has always been a racist douche bag too with a double standard and this is just one example.

Buck Runner

I see now where the white whiney babies come from who shoot up schools. Just SCROLL THROUGH all of these comments. Half of you psychos are one Spike Lee Comment or ONE Black or Latino Presidential election from snapping and shooting up a SCHOOL!!! Quit yer crying!!!!! You blithering idiots!!!!

Buck Runner

These are the sort of angry white comments that reveal to the world why these angry whiney white babies commenting here shoot up schools, movie theaters, Mosques and Sikh temples.

pw

Shut up Ni**er.

Stephen

Where's Jesus Shuttlesworth when you need him?

longgonedaddy

Spike who? I guess only a black director can make movies about slavery now.

Django Grinkiewicz

F@#k you Spike Lee. My name IS Django. I'm not offended by this movie. Yes I'm white. Why do you have to pull the RACE card???????? I'm NOT!!!
IT"S A F@#KING MOVIE!!!!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!! DUMB ASS!!!

jewels1678

Spoke lee has a lot of nerve mostly all of movies are racist to all races so stfu and sit your irrelevant ass down stop whining dam baby

Buck Runner

Note to angry white people. YOU voted 60/40 for Mitt Romney and LOST!!!! ALL OTHER races voted at least 75/25 for Barack Obama and WON! You have 30 days to pack yer sh** and get the f*** out of OUR COUNTRY. I hear Norway is lovely this time of year. Go shoot up schools in YOUR OWN country. Buh bye. ROFLMAO.

Previous 15 Comments | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments