Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Boom

WOW!!! But its okay for Jaimie Foxx to go on Saturday Night Live and say IGNORANT stuff about WHITES?!! I take offense in a Black wishing to "kill us"

jimmy changa

I don't see why this dude has to be so uptight about his Black Heritage. I think he really just doesn't like Q.T.

yankeegirl200257

Bet Spike's ancestors were not slaves... what a waste of time and energy....,such old news
pick a new mountain to die on

TJ

Spikey,,,,with all the comments aganist you,,,,,I go with the one,,,,WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE!!!!,,,,go back under your rock.,,

jordan blizzard

ohh my god!! this is exactly why we live in a country full of sensitive ******* right here. get over it and yourself spike lee. it aint that deep. none of you or your people alive today have never had to do anything you didnt fill out an application to do and none of us alive today are responsible for slavery. puss. the president is black for christ sake, but let me guess he probably isnt "black" enough for u huh spike. you are a douche

jake

Spike lee is the true definition of a ******!! THAT is the only time in my life I have said that word!

Fattie

Black men are mad because they only want to be seen in the movies with white women..I will see this movie ten times over because a white man made it..fluck black dudes

Bill B.

Still whinnnnnng after all these years

poop

Spike your ancestors were direspectful

Marcos

Any use of the N-word whether it be once or twice is disrespectful and I don't see Spike Lee complaining about his rapper friends who do that. I also don't see Spike Lee making many movies that show blacks in a good light. So how is he able to complain? His comments do nothing more than divide our nation.

anonymous

Most of the comments here are missing the point. Spike may have a point here. Maybe Tarrantino needs to tone it down a bit. The excessive use of the 'N' word in his movies, if offensive to the black community (obviously in a way no other group would understand), he should be sensitive enough to do something about it.

tlcmk

Spike Lee is a bigot? Who knew?

William j

Yeah spike and your movie do the right thing was disrespectful to my Italian heritage but you don't hear me crying!! Spike is just hating cause Quentin is still relevant in film making!! Spike Lee biggest hypocrite in the film business. Next time me and my buddy see you at a Yankee game try not to cower behind your security guard like a little *****!! You like making movies about guineas but can't acknowledge one when they see you in public!!

tarbe

Spike

Your ancestors were not stolen from Africa. They were sold by other black africans to the slave traders.

How about a little intellectual honesty??

Camshaftkid

Hey Spike...how empty would your life be if you were white?

Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments