Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

jonnyb

i remember when i was spike lee and actually made a quality movie...oh wait. i'm spike lee, that never happened.

C/ Redding

When Spike Lee admits he hasn't seen the movie, "Django Unchained, "who gives a **** what he thinks about it? I suspect that half his problem is that he's jealous he isn't the one who made it.

Connie

So, he hasn't even seen the movie, yet he is criticizing it? Rediculous. I saw Django Unchained a few days ago. Tarantino was not making light of the issue of slavery in it. At all..And, at least his movies are fun to watch..From what I have seen of the trailers for Spike Lee's movies, they just seem really preachy..

melissa

Quentin is all about MONEY$$$....what goes around comes around.....

Gary

Tarantino wrote a movie that has his actors saying "ni@@er" (the "N") word over one hundred and ten (110) times. My white, black, brown, Asian and Indian friends and I WILL NOT GO to see this movie, nor would we see it if the actors uttered cracker, dyke, pig, giggaboo, wetback, honky, chink, jap, ***got, greaser, limey, gook, kyke, rag head, peckerwood, or any other racist word 110 times. In my opinion Tarantino is clearly a racist using his position as a rich movie mogul to further his own racist agenda. His money has attracted actors who will do anything for money, even though they are already rich. Jamie Foxx, Sam Jackson, DiCaprio and Kerry Washington all need to give up acting. They are an embarrassment to the craft and we are deeply offended.

Dirk Pitt

****** is just a word. Spike Lee is not the moral authority here. He just has an opinion. Like every other ****** out there

Rick

Spike...you are a classic example why blacks are called Typicals...or should I say...STUPID *****RS!!!!

mike

say spike im black and if you really wanna start, start in the hood with our people who say the word daily, in front of whites and blacks. hypocrit!

snoop769

He's just mad he didn't make the movie...out of all his movies he hasn't made a Black Hero worth remembering....hats off Quention one of your best if not best.

Sunshine702

Go back to your weed, guns, and slapping poor Target employees and no so poor Suge Knight. Don't need movie reviews from you or LILO..got it!

tommy

im half black and half white and this movie, yes had racist things but it was about racism. that is the way it was. i would be more offended if Quentin suger coated it. and besides jamie foxx kicks ther ass.
so i think its racist to call Quentin racist

Rose

He says he has used the word before in many of his films but there is "something wrong with Quentin" ok who's being the racist here?

old dog

It would seen that had not your ancesters been kidnaped by Arab muslim slave traders you would
be sitting on your butt pounding corn into meal
and liviing in a brush hut in sub saharen Africa.

beth

Spike lee is no one to complain about racism he is one of the most racist mother fs out there making movies look at how he portrays white people in his movies at least Quentin was true to the time and in the end the slaves over come and triumph, I think if that shows anything it is that QT isn't the racist thatprior making him out to be, and if I may point out, the only reason it if an issue is because Quentin is white if he were black would this even be an issue ? With that being said I think change

soylentgreenispeople

I wish I could buy him . Then he would know what real work is.

Previous 15 Comments | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments