'Justified' Producers

Accused of Ripping Off

Western Artist

12/30/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1228-justified-double-fist
"Justified" producers are under fire from an artist who claims they ripped off one of his paintings for their promotional art ... and now, he's demanding they ditch the ads -- OR ELSE.

Attorney Keith Davidson fired off a cease and desist letter on behalf of artist Gabe Leonard ... accusing FX Networks -- which produces the hit show -- of copying his original piece "Double Fist" in its ads for the new season.

The letter cites several similarities -- rugged U.S. Marshals, pistols drawn, hats tipped, color schemes -- and concludes its a clear case of copyright infringement.

FYI -- "Double Fist" had been posted on Leonard's website 3 year prior to the unveiling of FX's promotional art.

FX says "no comment"-- but we gotta ask ...

cobrazombie

Just a similar pose. I don't see any other similarities. Unjustified copyright trolling.

AR7

I'm actually a fan of Leonard (own three of his prints) but even I think this is reaching. John Woo might as well turn around and sue him for painting a shot he's had in just about all of his movies.

bitchfistcomics.com

I didn't know Gabe Leonard created the "guy with two guns pointing them at you" piece.

Spicy mag

Looks almost identical. But it's also a common visual. I feel like I've seen that same shot in a movie before. Maybe desperado?

jayman419

The guy in the Justified ad:

1) Is looking down, the guy in "Double Fists" is looking straight towards the viewer.
2) Is in black, with a blue-green background with smoke or other such stuff in the background. "Double Fists" is grey with a plain earth-tone background.
3) Is wearing all black, with a narrow tie and a smaller, more realistic hat. Also it's a white guy. "Double Fists" uses a wide tie, a black guy, and unrealistic proportions.
4) Is holding semi-automatic pistols, versus revolvers in "Double Fist". Also, in "Double Fist" he's holding the guns at unequal heights, which is not present in the Justified ads.

In short, the pictures may be similar, but they are not close enough to be called a rip-off. Also, just because some obscure artist throws a picture on his tumblr, it doesn't mean that anyone has seen it.
I hope the case gets tossed. If he wins this case, then no one can ever hold two guns towards the camera again.

Xana

There are not a lot of similarities and this coming from an art major. Mainly the gun pose is the same but its very typical stuff, not like even the pose is an original idea.. The criticism isnt Justified, hah...

Mihalick

Yes, because that pose is so uncommon and promos are never made with artistic effects. Pretty sure by this artist's standards, his painting is a rip off of any one of a hundred western movie climactic scenes.

Keyser Söze

No offense, but that pose has been done numerous times in the history of Western.

You cannot copyright a gunslinger's stance, Leonard. I hope FX fight you all the way to a much deserved victory.

BigMacIsBack

Although the 2 images do look similar, I highly doubt the Justified producers have even seen this painting, and if they have I bet they had no idea who painted it. This Leonard fella must need money for filing a lawsuit over such a petty thing. Ps, I LOVE this show! Olyphant is such a beast!

Our sources tell us

What's the Big Frigin'
DIFFERENCE?!

Phishie from Philly

So I guess John Wayne estate should sue every western movie ever made. So ridiculous. This is just someone trying to make a fast buck.
Phishie from Philly

Rocco

2 very different hats. One definitely not tipped. I gave someone a peace sign in the old days. Should England sue me?

Rusty Shackleford

the images themselves may be similar, but its hardly an original concept. this is a very popular pov for any type of gunfighting media.

Brian

A gunfighter wearing a low slung hat pointing guns? Just a case of parallel thinking not theft

Krismose1

Whiner. Just trying to get some exposure.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments