Ben Affleck

Snubbed By the Academy!

(But Maybe Not)

1/10/2013 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0110_ben_affleck_01

The people who select the Oscar nominees clearly HATE Ben Affleck, 'cause he didn't get a Best Director nod for "Argo" this morning ... but it WAS nominated for "Best Film."

So, did Ben really get snubbed??? Depends who you ask -- here's how the argument is breaking down in the TMZ newsroom:

Matt -- Yes, Ben was snubbed ... "Argo" was as good as the other movies that were nominated. As a director, "Argo" was very well done. I think he was snubbed because of who he is.

Kelly -- No, Ben did NOT get snubbed ... sometimes you're nominated, sometime's you're not ... Ben has a long career ahead of him. He'll be fine.

Shevonne
-- No, Ben's not that great.

Max -- I don't think he was snubbed because I know nothing about directing.

Harvey -- Yes, Affleck's being snubbed because people are fawning over him too much ... I think there's a lot of jealously in the Academy.

Van -- HUGE snub ... it was a well-directed film and it was enjoyable, one of his best. Incredibly well paced.

Brian McDaniel -- He did NOT get snubbed, because do you like apples? "Argo" made $110 million, so how do you like those apples and stuff?

Chad -- I don't give a s**t either way, but are the 49ers gonna win this weekend?

JamieParks

Ben chose the ONLY RIGHT JEN,at least, she wasn't a PUNTA!!!!! Ben is very talented, we seen it in goodwill hunting,pearl harbor, the town,etc. the Oscar committee need to get over themselve's, and listen to the people.!! So sorry jlo your music is fantastic, but It Is what IS!!

christy

Im with Chad...... Go 49ers!!!!!!

EasilyHard

The movie was auto directed like Honey Boe Boe

Sally

Actually, neither the movie or director deserve to be nominated.

Jay Singer

Ben got snubbed it's true. However an even bigger snub is that Kathry Bigelow didn't get a nomination. Her film might win Best Picture but the likelihood is that Les Miserables or Lincoln will win that.

Bob

If you think Argo was a good movie, you lack the historical knowledge to recognize the extent to which it is a self-serving perversion of the real events which took place at that time.

Sherry

Ben Affleck is a FABULOUS director. He is truly gifted, which creates jealousy in others. Keep up the good work, Ben! I am over 65 and know talent when I see it.

me

He is not Oscar material.

oBAMa

Snubbed? Please. He is a huge liberal. Hollywood is run by liberals and they love anyone who votes like them. If he didn't' get a nom then his movie must have made sense. Only the "brilliant" nonsensical ones that us lowly peasants don't get are worthy of nominations.

LittleBIt

Ben Affleck is just some guy who got lucky and made it in hollywood. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL! Hes nobody special. I will NEVER forget when he showed up at Jennifer Lopez restaurant opening with flowers for her while her then husband Chris stood there with his mouth open. And that big ad he took out in Variety gushing over her after they made that movie together.
DUDES GOT A LOT OF F-ING BALLS to act like that in front of a womans husband. JERKO**!!!
Then after all that bullsh*t, he ends up dumping her. He thinks we all want to hear his opinion from everything to tsunamis to the government in Washington. WRONG AGAIN YOU IDIOT! This guy thinks hes all that. Hes not even a little bit of that. Just go away Ben.

KnuckleDragger

Shevonne -- No, Ben's not that great.

Max -- I don't think he was snubbed because I know nothing about directing.

Raquel -- Who took the KFC chicken from my desk? I can smell it! Y'all better be bringin' dat chicken back 'fo I get all up in you!!

Zach

It doesn't matter if you feel Lincoln was a better movie that's not the category (Best Picture) being discussed. It's BEST DIRECTOR which involves a lot of criteria that Affleck, whether you like it or not, met. From the acting, editing, pacing and execution of the story. Whether he wins or not or is the best director outright is not relevant to the issue which is his deserving of a NOMINATION. And the TMZ is the last group of people to discuss this. Shevonne, okay you don't like Ben well that has nothing to do with deserving a nomination, Brian again the nomination is for Best Director not Best Box Office and if your logic is sound than no nomination should've been given for Beasts of the Southern Wild Director and Kelly just like the others your logic is plain retarded. Long career ahead is not guaranteed and even so that is an idiotic reason to give for no nomination. I guess if someone loses out on a medal in the Olympics because the other 3 athletes who did used steroids, you can just tell them "well you win some you lose some you gotta long career ahead of you anyways". You guys are an embarrassment. I don't mind debates but if you're not going to even have sound and logical arguments then please go skydive without a parachute, PLEASE.

KATIE

Yes, Ben was snubbed but he is a big boy and I am sure he will get over it. I think he is sometimes too political. People worry that if he wins (long shot against the like of Spielberg) that he would be shaming a lot of Hollyweird with his speech. Sorry, he is no homophobe.

christy

I'm with Chad......GOOOOOOO 49ERS!!!

Siobhan

Maybe now Ben Affleck will feel what it's liked to be snubbed, the way he snubbed John Sheardown in the movie. Without Sheardown they would now have made it out of Iran as stated by Mark Lijek, one of the Americans Sheardown helped.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments