« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manti Te'o

Witness Talks

New Timeline Emerges

1/17/2013 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

011713-jan-tmzlive-launch-2
Manti Te'o and his non-existent girlfriend Lennay Kekua went public with their relationship in January 2012 ... and continued to date until she died in September ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ spoke with "Jan" ... a Notre Dame superfan who struck up an online friendship with "Lennay" through Twitter back in 2011.

According to Jan, Lennay had always maintained that she was friendly with Manti ... but didn't reveal that she was his "girlfriend" until January.

The timeline begs one really big question ... in 9 months, two college students at top universities (Lennay maintained she went to Stanford) didn't have one video chat session??

"Jan" called in to "TMZ Live" and explained her relationship with Lennay ... and also told us why she believes Ronaiah Tuiasosopo participated in the hoax on the Notre Dame star.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Your S&M Girlfriend

Maybe "Jan's" computer could be checked. She insinuated herself into this story. I find it hard to believe no one has found this "mystery woman" who catfishes him. By the way if you didn't see the do***entary, the term "catfish" came from the scammer woman's husband who said that when codfish were shipped overseas they became loose and fleshy but if you added a catfish to their container it perked them up, and people who did this scam stuff were like catfish and kept it interesting. Seriously.

Barbara

Well you see TMZ, anything is possible. Maybe you guys should consider watching MTV's Catfish. There's even a perfect example on the first or second episode that two people fell in love with each other online, never video chatted and been like that for years and years till they finally meet up.

I am another example that I met my current boyfriend online. I never video chatted with him or ever spoke to him on skype or phone for a year. He never gave up on me. Eventually I flew to his city to visit him.

Anything's possible. Once you fall in love with someone, you'll be love blinded.

SAC

Something like this actually happened to my bff's brother. This woman (I assume it was a woman) had a fake online profile and began an online and phone relationship with him. She always had some kind of drama going on in 'her life', including she had some kind of terminal disease, and whenever they made plans to meet up she either wouldn't show because of some dramatic excuse or said she couldn't make it at the last minute. They never video chatted so I don't think that's a deal-breaker or proof Te'o is lying. I think at some point my bff's brother (and probably Te'o) knew there was something up, but by that time he was too invested into the 'relationship' and didn't want to be embarrassed in front of his family and us friends, so it just continued until he finally ended it over 2 years later.

Long story short...I'm tempted to still believe Te'o wasn't lying.

Myopinion

If you ever watch the catfish show on MTV these people have gone months even years without seeing or meeting the other person. Even the creator of the show has a do***entary on his own experience. So it is possible. For those who say it isn't possible to go that long and not see the person go to MTV and watch the show and listen to the stories.

NOT ELMO

slow day...

Tiffany

time to end this story and leave this guy alone. how about how fat kim k is gonna get? get back to your regular reporting.

~ ThE sHiELd ~

He is a star linebacker @ a major university. Y would u in this day

NoBrains,NoHeadaches.

I love how tmz keeps editing the word ***** out of do*****entary. do***entary

NoBrains,NoHeadaches.

REALLY tmz? u block out That I am pointing out u censor the w. ord C U M Out of the word d.o-c U men tary

feelicks

lock da bimbo up....

Jflx

This whole thing is crazy and confusing!!

CJones

Catfish

Cashin

Forget... What's the point, no public interest here just let the authorities deal with the legalities

Cashin

How many ppl sell there kids paintings as there own then retire and not tell anyone until they get caught out

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3