'Django' Slave Toys

DISCONTINUED

1/18/2013 8:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0118_django_toys_01
The controversial “Django Unchained” action figures have officially been DISCONTINUED ... after several African American groups called for a boycott of the dolls ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the toy production tell us ... shortly after advocacy groups like Al Sharpton’s National Action Network and Project Islamic Hope spoke out against the figurines ... the Weinstein Company (which produced the film) reached out to the toy company and told them to put the kibosh on the toy line ASAP.

We're told the toy company agreed, insisting they never intended to offend anyone ... and halted production immediately.

Sources tell us ... the toymakers only released somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 dolls before shutting down production.

We reached out to the Weinstein Company for comment, so far no word back. But earlier this week we got Christoph Waltz out in Hollywood and it sounds like the 'Django' cast has already learned the fate of the action figures.

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

Johnny

Oh my god... seriously people GET OVER IT. I would have liked to have gotten these as collectors items but now i can't thanks to all you people complaining about not being child appropriate. Hey parents, if you're that concerned about how your children are going to view these try doing something parental and um.... TEACH THEM about what slavery was. Just another example of a group of people ruining stuff for the rest of us.

Lezlie

I really enjoyed the movie. I found it very entertaining; however, it was VERY unbelievable the slaves were too well spoken. and Fox and Washington rode the horses like pros. AND the outfit Washington road off into the sunset in I would have paid an arm and a leg for. I did have a nice twist and some great one liners. The N word does not bother me anymore then the F word.

Robert ziomek

Come on?...Black cowboy would have been shot on site!....movie is a joke!...probably be sold faster than the african tribes...Sold the slaves to the white people!!

Dan

Rev Big Mouth Sharpten Strikes Again !

Patty

I watched about 30 minutes of this movie and walked out. It don't make sense to use such filthy language and so much of it. It would have been a good movie if not for that.

theupsizers

This means that the Broomhilda action figure will soon cost more than the actual Broomhilda.

Patty

I went to see this movie. I watched about 35 to 40 minutes of it and then I got up and left. It doesn't make sense to use such filthy language and so much of it in the movies. It would have been a good movie if the language had been cleaner.

idon'tgetyou

What is wrong with this world. The movie was artistically brilliant. Black people are stoked about the "black hero" and theres no other movie like it. The dolls are for those who appreciate the movie.

Cassandra

Okay, I must be the only one who doesn't have a problem with these. They are action figures based on a movie. Nothing more.

Esme

I'm surprised anyone is shocked.

DJANGO ACTION FIGURES

EBAY yanking/ banning listings of DJANGO UNCHAINED ACTION FIGURES?

Abyss316

Why do companies bow down to these groups? If you find it offensive--don't buy it!

Seriously?

I would have bought these toys. The movie was amazing. If any of these "organizations" would have taken the time to watch the movie, they would have realized it's a movie about standing up for slavery. Django actually wins in the end. . . . Dumb conservatives.

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13