'Idol' Finalists

The Show Is NOT RACIST

1/27/2013 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0125-melinda-doolittle-vonzell-solomon-casey-abrams-taylor-hicks-getty
Four "American Idol" finalists from different seasons -- two of whom are black -- insist the singing competition is many things ... but racist is NOT one of them.

TMZ broke the story ... nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American.

But Season 6 finalist Melinda Doolittle adamantly disagrees, telling TMZ, "It is shocking to see such allegations. In my experience on the show, the 'Idol' team strives to champion everyone, regardless of race. However, each contestant is explicitly told that the withholding of information that may compromise the show or artist, can and will result in immediate disqualification."

Season 4 finalist Vonzell Solomon adds, "I didn’t experience any of that [racial discrimination] ... all of our contracts were clear about how the background checks worked and that we could be disqualified if we lied about our past."

Two other former contestants -- Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks and Season 10 finalist Casey Abrams -- also agree.

Casey says, "I don't know why they are biting the hand that fed them. Those guys beat thousands of people who wanted to be on TV. Idol is picky, but I'm not sure about racist."

Taylor -- whose Vegas show is still going strong -- adds, "American Idol is for everyone.  All walks of life go through the show.  Not once did I see the show discriminate towards anyone.  It’s all about the votes."

FYI -- "Idol" has had three black winners in its history ... Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Jordin Sparks.

Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.

Poopsi47

sore losers

Sandra

much ado about nothing!!

Jenn

No duh, If I was black I would be embarrassed for my race perpetuating the poor me how ca i do nothing and get rich card. BTW I am married to a very hard working black man so I am not a racist just calling a spade a spade. what an embarresment to your race.

Sinjin

As long as the guilt-ridden white liberals dominate media, pop culture and academia, the victimhood brainwashing will continue and the fallacious claims will forever be news topics.

Sadly, and thanks to Facebook, 50% of America thinks since they are popular on FB with 800 friends, they are entitled to fame and celebrity in the real life.

Give me the 1960...'s America anytime over the narcissistic, self-loving, lazy superficial and socialist leaning America in it's current form.

wendy

the race card is being abused. although dwb is alive and well, it exists everywhere. that being said, too many blacks play this card when it does not apply, therefore if this continues to happen it's just worn out, no one will pay attention. my cousin applied to be a fire fighter in wisconsin, because he's white yet qualified for the job, he was discriminated because he was not a minority.....go figure.

Danielle123

Seriously Harvey? AI must have you all on payroll too. If the allegations are as "ridiculous" as you/they all claim then why even give the men attention? If it was untrue, why does AI have you doing "unnecessary" damage control?

The New Improved Sock Puppet

I'm sure as part of their contracts any criminal record needs to be divulged. Apparently they didn't get the memo. If I find a lie on an application their ass is gone too no matter if they're black, white, purple or green. Someone more honest is waiting.

Manimal

I don't remember seeing any Eskimos win either...RACISTS.

Jen

Oh here we go, more n!ggers playing the race card.

judy jetson

idol finalists the show is not racist. no duh!!

Manimal

Get the new Al Sharpton race cards. Full 52 card set on sale at Target...use them whenever you want!

tleeg

I cant stand A.I. But these guys who are suing them are morons. They are just disgruntled because they are criminals and suck at singing.

Joey

The Losers who didn't belong on Idol in the first place are looking for a free pay day. So typical of ghetto losers I guess their state assistance has run out

Danielle123

Seriously, I don't agree with these guys or think they have much of a case but why the need for assumptions and racial innuendos? "...their state assistance has run out" That is beyond unnecessary and I doubt it would've been said for anybody of any other race. Like I've said before, some TMZ commenters are the absolute worst.

helloitsme

Kudos to them for speaking out!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments