'Love Rollercoaster' Singer

Dead at 69

1/28/2013 9:44 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0128_leroy_bonner_sugarfoot
Funk legend and Ohio Players frontman Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner -- the voice behind "Love Rollercoaster" -- has died.

According to friends and bandmates, Bonner passed away over the weekend in Trotwood, Ohio following a battle with cancer. He was 69.

His family posted a message on Facebook, writing, "While his family, friends, colleagues, and fans mourn his passing they celebrate fondly his memory, music and legacy."

Bonner's career spanned 56 years. He joined the Ohio Players as lead singer in 1971 and together they released numerous hits, including "Love Rollercoaster" and "Fire."

la

R.I.P

Dollgirl410

My absolute favorite song, which I made my ringtone for a special friend a couple of weeks ago is... Heaven Must Be Like This! R.I.P.

CriticXtreme

SUGARFOOT and the rest of the Ohio Players were definite influences. This was time where people had pure talent, played instruments, could sing, (lip synching would get you a bullet), wrote their own music, etc., it was a different time. Now that the non talented took over finding easy ways to make money, well you see and ear how awful everything is.

I was a lower case "g" at a house party with the DJ playing tracks from Ohio Players album and got my first piece of "ZAMPOUGHI" from this one of kind beautiful half-breed. Thanks SUGARFOOT and rest in Paradise!

Dollgirl410

So happy to honor their music in this way!

Cheryl A.

I saw them in person once at a concert and they were AWESOME!! Rest in Peace, Sugarfoot.

JP

Goodnight funnyman.

Rotter

I remember Leroy used to play a bad-assed doubleneck Mosrite guitar. Sweeeet!!!!

Lisa

He will be missed loved the band

dale12

Peace be with you Sugarfoot, and Godspeed....The Ohio Players were a piece of my youth that I will not forget, the 1st album I bought was "Skintight," which was a bad ditty!

john johnson

r.i.p. man, you made some great music!

sophiastormy

Me and my man song

Woot

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that.

"Rollercoaster" was one of my favorites back in the day.......until I heard a rumor that the scream heard during the break was an actual person dying on a rollercoaster. Oh my, what kids will believe, huh?

"Fire" got me where it counted. LOVED that one, too!

Rest in peace, Sugarfoot.

Dee

Grew up on Ohio Players music. Matter of fact, the "Honey" album was one of my very first albums. "Fire", "Love Roller Coaster", "Sweet, Sticky Thing" were some of my favorites. R.I.P Sugarfoot

Maddogg2020

Gotta love the music the band put out, but you have to love Sugarfoot. Such an awesome frontman, I have to bump FOPP extra loud in his honor. R.I.P. Sugarfoot!!!!

palermo

Loved them back in the day. Rest in peace.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments