Forest Whitaker

Blasts NYC Deli

I Was Falsely Accused of Stealing

2/16/2013 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0215-forest-whitaker-milano-gettyForest Whitaker is furious with a NYC deli ... telling TMZ he was wrongly accused of shoplifting Friday morning ... and even FRISKED IN PUBLIC in a humiliating violation of his rights.

Whitaker -- an Academy Award-winning MILLIONAIRE -- says he was on his way out of the Milano Market on the Upper West Side Friday when he was stopped by a deli employee and accused of swiping an item from the shelf.

An eyewitness tells TMZ ... the employee proceeded to frisk Whitaker in plain view ... treating him as if he were a common criminal.

Shocker, the employee's pat down yielded zilch ... and Forest left the establishment baffled and angry.

Whitaker's rep tells TMZ, "This was an upsetting incident given the fact that Forest did nothing more than walk into the deli. What is most unfortunate about this situation is the inappropriate way store employees are treating patrons of their establishment.

Frisking individuals without proof/evidence is a violation of rights."

The rep adds, "Forest did not call the authorities at the request of the worker who was in fear of losing his employment. Forest asked that, in the future, the store change their behavior and treat the public in a fair and just manner.”

We called Milano Market for comment -- but no one wanted to talk.

lovelyladylumps

Seriously WTF???How did not1employee recognized him as a very weathy,well known actor w/a very distinctive look.I guess all they saw was a black man in a upper class(as in over priced)area and assumed they can frisk him in the middle of the store.As a white woman thats clearly racial profiling.They treated him with no respect at all.He is a better person than me not calling the police so the jerk who frisked him didnt lose his job.That fool would have lost his job if that was me.Just sayin

lovelyladylumps

I see everyone saying he should sue.I agree but he wont.If he wouldnt call the cops so the idiot who friaked him doesnt lose his job and asked for him not to do that to other customers then left well he is a great guy

Jay

Who the little idiot berserk. you need tooth picks to open your eyes, to the stupidity of the comment you've made

Dr Samuel Weiscrak

Towelie sayz Does Kyler Eese work at Milano Deli or is he just super high!?

Lyle La Fee

Milano Market. well they had their 15 minutes of fame.not a very good 15 ,but they had it.

demi

Its interesting to see white peoples take on things they know nothing about, yall really do live in your on little world.

kylereese

its no big deal... the security persons did their job correctly.. they deserve appreciation. and forest whitaker wasnt found to be a thief, so he has nothing to worry or whine about..No need for any complaints or sad-faces mr. whitaker, because take it all in a grown up way. We are part of a society, and it has certain rules.. just because you acted on some movies, does not mean everybody else has to bend tehir rules for you ... you are just the same like anybody else. Just by being searched you were not insulted.. take it in a grown up manner that the guards were just doing their job. If somebody comes to the scene where your next movie is being shot, and he decides to be in the middle of the view blocking yourself from the camera and claims that he is special and have a right to be infront of you to face the came, will you feel comfortable? its the same here too.. let the guards do their jobs. Oh, just as a side note, i feel scared at the way in some movies you look at some actresses..

Dee

Yikes! Caught shopping while black!

Sue

no matter how much $ you got or make you are still a "black man" in their eyes. Me saying black man is nice b/c you know what I mean.

Nimal

This has happen to me before too, in a different setting. I wish I made a bigger deal. People are still racist now a days.

marti

I'm white and they eyeball me EVERY time I go into the same Safeway store,whats your point Forrest?

jay

I CARE SOOO MUCH!!!

HELP ME!!!!!

GIVE A **** ABOUT NOTHING!!!!!!!

loretta abbruscato

NO FRIGGIN WAY DO I BELIEVE THAT STORY HE SHOULD SUE THEM ..EVEN THUGH HE DONT NEED THE MONEY OR TROUBLE DOING IT

pfon71361

He should have reported what happened on his twitter or Facebook page right away. Let the restaurant take the heat.

tonibarb