Forest Whitaker

Blasts NYC Deli

I Was Falsely Accused of Stealing

2/16/2013 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0215-forest-whitaker-milano-gettyForest Whitaker is furious with a NYC deli ... telling TMZ he was wrongly accused of shoplifting Friday morning ... and even FRISKED IN PUBLIC in a humiliating violation of his rights.

Whitaker -- an Academy Award-winning MILLIONAIRE -- says he was on his way out of the Milano Market on the Upper West Side Friday when he was stopped by a deli employee and accused of swiping an item from the shelf.

An eyewitness tells TMZ ... the employee proceeded to frisk Whitaker in plain view ... treating him as if he were a common criminal.

Shocker, the employee's pat down yielded zilch ... and Forest left the establishment baffled and angry.

Whitaker's rep tells TMZ, "This was an upsetting incident given the fact that Forest did nothing more than walk into the deli. What is most unfortunate about this situation is the inappropriate way store employees are treating patrons of their establishment.

Frisking individuals without proof/evidence is a violation of rights."

The rep adds, "Forest did not call the authorities at the request of the worker who was in fear of losing his employment. Forest asked that, in the future, the store change their behavior and treat the public in a fair and just manner.”

We called Milano Market for comment -- but no one wanted to talk.

ABB

Who gives a hell! Fire the racist SOB who cares about his little job!

CharlieDon'tSurf1

Why did Forrest let them frisk him? This was not a cop, and no right to frisk like that. He could have pushed the person away and say they assaulted him but simply touching him. This doesn't make sense but I would be certain there's no way Forrest steals unless he's a Klepto and that usually doesn't include food. The only rich people that steal would be Klepto's like Winona etc.. Forrest seems like a good buy, smart, one of the best living actors we have now, and a millionaire that doesn't need to steal.

suspenders

It's a crime that this wonderful actor wasn't recognized,BUT that kid is lucky (and so is the deli) that Mr. Whitaker was so big about it...WTF?

lucybu

The employee should be fired. It's a clear violation of civil rights. In fact, shoplifters can't be touched until they leave the premises hence avoiding lawsuits for defamation of character. Hopefully, the manager knows that and will proceed accordingly.

Lisa

f

tdr9

We need more news

XRaac

If this had happened to me I would have told the manager or called the authorities, whatever, even if the employee would have lost his job.

MaryMRevis

Mr. Whitaker I say BRAVO to your class in the way you handled this. Even when angered you carried yourself like a gentleman. I would follow up with this by buying the deli quietly....fire the employee and retrain all remaining staff in the art of being polite to your patrons.

Wendy A.

Forrest Should sue and then he will own the Deli.

cindy

This dumb store was soooo damn lucky....they should be thanking him profusely for not pressing any charges. And hopefully that ****ty little store person will think twice about racially profiling every person of color that walks into that store.

DeeMaree

Profiling exists. To those who claim otherwise you have your heads buried in the sand. That's fine if that keeps you in your happy place. I'm all about happy. To those who justify profiling by giving crime stats, ok you admitted that people do profile and you have no problem with it, I remind you that in the United States of America you are innocent until proven guilty. I would also tell you when you judge that someone is probably a criminal because they are black, YOU ARE A RACIST. That's what the word means, geez. Now this employee could have asked Mr Whitaker to step in the back. He could have followed store procedures on how to handle shop lifters but he CANNOT do what he did do. That's the point here. As to what was in the employees mind, only the clerk himself knows. But profiling still exists in our country. I think Forest Whitaker handled himself with class. I expected no less from him.

FrankOtheMountain

Did he steal something?

DaveT

"I'm going to frisk you"
"No you're not, Bye"

Steve

A green black man. Eat some meat dude! Being a vegetarian is making you look ill.

Valentina1

Unbelievable is the only word I can think of to describe this disgrace. I saw Forrest Whitaker and his daughter at a Farmers Market years ago. He seemed very nice. I would sue this dump "aka" Milano's Market. I bet if Wynona Ryder's thieving ass walked in there she wouldn't have been stopped at all. Unbelievable.....smdh