Mary J. Blige's

FINANCIAL DISASTER

New $900k Tax Lien

2/17/2013 5:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0215_mary_j_blige
Just when you thought Mary J. Blige's financial problems couldn't get any worse ... TMZ has learned the singer has been hit with a $900,000 tax lien in the State of New Jersey.

Blige -- who was JUST sued earlier this month for allegedly defaulting on a $500k bank loan -- is now on the hook for $901,769.65 in back taxes to the Garden State, this according to official documents obtained by TMZ.

The tax lien is the latest in a string of financial woes for the Grammy winner -- just last year, Mary J. was sued for allegedly defaulting on a $2.2 million bank loan ..  and before that, her charity was sued for not paying back a $250k loan.

Back in May, Blige blamed the charity's financial issues on the staff -- saying, "The problem is that I didn't have the right people in the right places doing the right things."

We reached out to Blige's camp for comment on the tax lien -- but so far, radio silence.

Jordan

Mary quit spending money you don't have Tax Payers should not have to bail out celebrities when they go Bankrupt. You should go back to school and learn about finance so you know how to track your own money, and not put your checkbook in someone else hands.

KittyKittyKitty

Yikes!

tdr9

Pay your taxes just like everyone else

Jordan

Mary are you not disappointing your President when you fail to pay your fair share of taxes?

Sweetred

What is going on with these celebirtys there broke just like every one els

Sir Paul McCartney

Sorry to hear about this! Mary J. Blige is one of the most talented Soul singers of this generation. I've seen her perform live a long time ago. She was in Ringo's Allstarr Band at one point. This situation is why George wrote Taxman, and I played guitar on it. He wrote it in anger at finding out what the Taxman did. He had never known before then what could happen to your money. 'Taxman' was when we first realized that even though we had started earning money, we were actually giving most of it away in taxes. It was and still is topical. As far as my guitar solo, I brought my old Epiphone electric guitar out, which was like a cheap Gibson in the early days. It's the guitar that I played the opening riff of 'Paperback Writer' on, so it's a lovely guitar. It can be quite varied — sort of horny and hard, like the 'Taxman' solo; that was the other thing I used it on. George let me have a go for the solo because I had an idea -- it was the early Jimi Hendrix days and I was trying to persuade George to do something like that, feedback-y and crazy. And I was showing him what I wanted, and he said, 'Well, you do it.'

Diamond Goddess!

I really think that Mary J. is a "trauma addict"!!!
Her WHOLE image is based on drama.
Plus, her husband gives me bad vibes.
She needs to check in to his involvement in her financial problems.
I like Mary, and wish her all the best,

YouDontSay

Sorry to hear. Her music has brought me joy I wish back at her.

BB in CA

Aaawwww – the fur hag has more problems – karma's a bitch!

en Todo Momento!!

i think the world needs to lerrn... black people don't pay taxes!! i mean all those things about: the white man, the us government, slavery and all that stuff. if you think some rich black person is going to cut you a tax check like mr leave it to beaver, good luck with that.

pj

She needs to put out better music. Pass few years not the mary we are used 2.

notalawyer

Even if you are an over-the-hill "rapper" with dyed blond hair ... you still have to pay the IRS

William Kramer

Come one Mary....your peoples need your tax money fo' yo' social programs. Food Stamps ain't free ya' heeer' meee'? Dem' Bama phones ain't free!

datruth

This is too bad...I actually like MJB...One a the few female singers who doesn't have to resort to tricks and gimmicks in order to entertain. (half naked/booty shaking) Good Luck Mary!

seashell

I think its funny all the celebs voted for Obama and now he is going after past due taxes from them.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments