'Different World' Star

Dead at 77

2/20/2013 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0220_lou_myers_facebook_01
"A Different World" Star Lou Myers -- famous for playing Mr. Vernon Gaines on the 80s show -- has died, TMZ has learned.

The President of Lou's non-profit tells TMZ, Lou passed away last night in West Virginia at the Charleston Medical Center following a heart-related emergency.

Lou was hospitalized in December for pneumonia but released after New Year's. He collapsed at home a few weeks later and was hospitalized again.

Lou's heart stopped yesterday. Doctors were able to revive him, but he fell into a coma and passed just hours later. He was 77.

And yes, his Wikipedia and IMDb pages are incorrect. We're told he lied about his age. According to official records, Lou's birthday was September 26, 1935. As one source put it, "You know how actors are."

An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the official cause of death.

We're told Lou -- who served in the Army -- will receive a military burial in West Virginia. He is survived by his son and his 95-year-old mother.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

VickyGray22

If you think Wendy`s story is great,, 3 weeks ago my daughter basically also made $4580 working fourteen hours a week in their apartment and there roomate's aunt`s neighbour has been doing this for 3 months and got paid more than $4580 parttime from their mac. applie the guidelines on this address, Big44.com

Cricket

Cool guy. Rest in peace. Prayers to his family.

myopinion

rip

mojo3

I attended undergrad school with him, in West Virginia. Lou lived his dream...as he majored in drama while at the institution.

Rest in Peace. You were loved by many. I'll miss you.

debra brown

R.I.P mr gaines you are the man I Don"t think i can watch the show without you. you got you wings now you can fly any where you want to

debra brown

R.I.Pmr gaines you got your wings now you can fly

deborah brown

R.I.P mr gaines you will be missed I can"t watch the show without you you were the lif of the show you have you wings you are free now

Leemah

One of the best black shows EVER (save for The Cosby Show). Dam, I miss both of those shows! RIP Mr. Gaines!!

Shannon

So Sad Loved him on Differnt world!

Honeybee0018

Awwwwww....RIP and deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Janice Elgin

Soo sad I loved him in everyhting he played in espeacilly Different World he would always have something to say about Whitney and Dwayne lol you will be greatly missed<3

LindaFreeman

I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago, while on your....he was really nice and made me feel like family...I loved his smiles....Rest In Peace

Richard McCombs

He was a Blessed man God kept his promise he gave this man a talent and he shared it with the world...77 yrs on earth wow...Thank-you for Blessing us with you're Love and kindness may the good Lord above continue to keep you and hold you forever ..so long friend farewell brother R.I.p.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5