« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tim Tebow

CANCELS Speech

at Controversial Church

2/21/2013 7:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0221_tim_tebow_01
Tim Tebow has officially yanked himself from a speaking engagement at a church in Dallas ... after reports surfaced that he'd be sharing the pulpit with a preacher who has denounced Jews and gays.

Tebow was slated to speak at the First Baptist Church of Dallas in April ... but moments ago, the NFL star tweeted:

"While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ's unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance."

He continued, "I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!"

Tebow made no specific references to the preacher who has made the homophobic and anti-Semitic statements -- Dr. Robert Jeffress -- but it's pretty obvious Tebow realized the negative PR implications of being photographed next to the guy.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Me Too

Good call, Tim. There's enough negativity in the world. Go preach/talk at a place that promotes love.

STFUP

So TMZ, why no story on how Loserhan took a pair of scissors the BORROWED $1,750 gown she wore to that amFAR event on the 6th?
And she only got into that event in the first place as paid-for 'arm candy' for some Shiek from Dubai.
Such a piece of trash - and now a hooker for shieks.

Troi

While I am suspicious of people who profundly state, they are Christians,..Tim Tebow appears to actually practice the tru Word.As we all know there are A LOT of folks who call themselves Christians, because hate,.....BUT there is those handfuls of people who are kind,giving, loving and understanding of the differences out in the world. TRUE Christians DO NOT spew hate....Tim Tebow,...well done,...but btw,....Tim don't you have any front people who could have given you a heads up on the hate that this so called church preaches about?....regardless,.....nicely done Tim.

HRH Prince Michael

As a Christian and a Leader, Often-times I'm invited to
various churches - of varying denominations.
Be sure, it is not my responsibility -as a guest- to dictate the beliefs nor perspectives of the hosts.
Of course, my presence at some places-of-worship
has been limited to one visit - at my discretion.
While, Pentecostals, Catholics, Baptists, Mormons, Et Al, often share unique and/or usual doctrine, I LOVE them all. Indeed, despite these differences we ALL love ONE KING!
Still, for ANY Christian to harbor disdainment for Jews is equally offensive and absurd. Not unlike "hating" your own Grandfather. Or, for Jews, much akin "hating" your descendants.
ALL, for The Greater Glory of The True and Living Yahweh!

The House of David 2 Chronicles 13 Victory, is HERE:
www.all4webs.com/x/w/all4yahweh
www.flickr.com/photos/72265268@N08
NOW, The Most Holy Christ King Yeshua reigns!

braintrain

Love tim. Get out of NY!

Shah Boogey

Tebow is a man of his word an a true man of God. Good for Tim Tebow an cancelling his speech there.

HRH Prince Michael

@SoManyIdiots: While I profoundly appreciate your concern for my valuable time, be clear:
Due to YEARS of "government" suppression/censorship of my public writings/comments, the forums for the aforementioned expressions are very limited.
And, Mr. Levin -aside from his legal expertise-
seems like a cool and fair individual.

I-See-Dumb-People

I've finally found some respect for Tebow. Very classy!

lynn

It doesn't matter which preacher he takes a pic with, any Baptist will have denounced Jews and gays. Weak excuse to bail, really.

thomas

Why are there still "Christian" churches preaching anti-semitic messages? Apparently Christian love does not extend to the Jewish people. Tebow is a hypocrite in my opinion.

tgrfan42069

in other worlds.they put ductape over my mouth because god forbid i speak my mind about my beliefs for in america you are only entitled to the pc opinion and that opinion only.anything else makes you a mean person.

cristiana

Tim Tebow is the most handsome man ever!

rico

B.S. This is how Timmy feels if he is a true born again Chhristain, This is how all Christian nut cases feel.I also bet he's a tea bagger.

Calico

I think you made the right decision Tim - any "Church" that excoriates people is not a loving or positive place to be.
After my gf's Mom's funeral last Saturday, we walked down the aisle holding hands-at a Catholic Church! And no one batted an eye. The whole fam accepts our relationship, and I pray gays and everyone will be welcome at any church any time.
Besides, who was that Jewish Woodworker again? ; P
Spread Love.

AL A TB

I'm impressed that he didn't do the "something came up" and was honest that information about the church or the other invited speakers were his reason. Still don't like him though...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments