Stone Temple Pilots

FIRE Lead Singer

Scott Weiland

2/27/2013 9:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0227-scott-weiland-tmz
Stone Temple Pilots
has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

0226_scott_weiland_footer

Gargamel

Who cares their best days are behind them anyway

xoxoLauren

Ed Kowalczyk from Live needs a band.....

nyc44th

Those other guys are really good musicians . . . I'm sure they are fed up with his BS. I'm a musician . . . musicians want to make records / play live . . . not lay around waiting for their singer to get his sht together or fulfill some weird 'whim'. Yea he is a good front man but at some point 'enough is enough' and JUST being a good front man is not enough.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Maybe with facing unemployment and having a bit of extra time he will bathe and practice better hygiene.

Jackie

Well they just fired themselves too...who the hell wants to go see STP without Scott Weiland?..lol....He's had serious issues for a while now..sad because he's one of the few real rockstars left.......rock n roll is CRAP now..sexless and boring. I was lucky to have been born in time to catch the last bits of good music (80s-90s).

J

He is STP. Like Mic Jagger leaving the Stones.

Dan

Good ridance to one of the biggest ********s in the music business. He was such a prima donna. A couple of years ago he performed here at Rockfest. He had shoeprints put on the stage where he was supposed to stand. Well someone was standing on them doing something with a mic in between sets. He came out and threw a fit at the person in front of the whole crowd. Nothing but an ass.

spokenword

Scott Weiland IS stp. Good luck finding a replacement.

Spicy mag

Replace him with Taylor Hicks. Problem solved!

Stacie

First Velvet Revolver. Now this. I feel bad for Scott. Hopefully he can start his own band or someone who truly appreciates him will include him in their band...

Bossy Potato

I saw them perform a couple years ago, he was awful! I'm glad they fired him. Such a drugged out mess.

zombie

STP w/out Scott Weiland is not STP.

Wrestlingmark00

In five years they will tour again

Majestik

Um, correct me if I'm wrong here. Why would Slash comment about STP, isn't he part of Velvet Revolver with Scott when they were a band? I would have expected the members of STP to say something first. Almost sounds like this was a set up by Slash to anger the members to actually fire Scott so they can start up Velvet Revolver again.

Majestik

I guess I should add this too. I'm going to assume this was a decision they made a few months ago. STP came to my hometown area to do a concert a few months back. Scott kept the crowd waiting for two hours before he finally emerged, he walked out on stage and stood there eating a sandwich. When he spoke on the mic those at the concert said he sounded absolutely wasted and if I'm not mistaken, he walked off the stage after 45 minutes. The promoters ended up having to refund ticket prices. I love STP, I was hoping they'd make more albums. Sigh...the best bands are just falling apart.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments