Stone Temple Pilots

FIRE Lead Singer

Scott Weiland

2/27/2013 9:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0227-scott-weiland-tmz
Stone Temple Pilots
has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

0226_scott_weiland_footer

E.elm

STP is nothing without Scott!!!!!

mike jarjoura

as far as aronld new girl it will be I won't be back with the wife

Blue Lake

Hire Dilana. She's a better singer anyway.

johnnydanger

The band and the singer still think anyone cares.

surfsupl

From Scott

Scott Weiland · 73,097 like this
20 minutes ago ·

Per Scott Weiland:

I learned of my supposed “termination” from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press. Not sure how I can be “terminated” from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that’s something for the lawyers to figure out. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing all of my fans on my solo tour which starts this Friday.

www.accountkiller.com

Stone Temple Pilots without Scott Weiland? Do they think they are that good and Scott is disposable? HA! Makes as much sense as Nirvana without Kurt Cobain, Red Hot Chili Peppers without John Frusciante etc.. or the Howard Stern Show without Howard Stern for that matter. Fa Fa Machine Booey, big lip jackass mama monkey, fla fla flo hi, musculature

laura

I am sad to hear this. Always love STP music. I knew it (dammit) that I should have seen them 2 summers ago when I had the chance. Scott, man, get it together!!! You're too good (and too old) for this crap! how about think of the fans!!!!

Mrugowsky

Lots of 1990's nostalgia lately. They should have broken up 10 years ago but touring makes a tidy amount of money. That said, Weiland is likely a liability yet at the same time indispensable.

Scary

Sounds like he was really fired a few months ago, just the band finally issued the official statement. Put the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

Scary

Meanwhile, in other grunge news...Soundgarden is going on tour.

Brien

I thought they broke-up 20 years ago. Or maybe that's the last time they got any air play.

DaveT

That's life in a rock band, been in bands in the past, 4-5 personalities together trying to be creative can get rough, good singer though, haven't listened to STP in a while

LetsBeReAL

Lead singers make the band. There are exceptions because you often know the names of other members but without the original frontman, the band is useless. Lol

matt

its a simple equation actually, no weiland = no STP its that easy, much in the same as no layne staley = no Alice in chains

Craiger

I'm glad...he is an ass. I met him at Piedmont Park in Atlanta about 15 years ago wearing a pink boa. I'm a
photographer and asked if I could take 1 picture (ONE) and he had big sissy fit and said NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! I only had a 35mm with a small lens, so I didn't get a good shot I was so far away by then.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments