Stone Temple Pilots

FIRE Lead Singer

Scott Weiland

2/27/2013 9:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0227-scott-weiland-tmz
Stone Temple Pilots
has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

0226_scott_weiland_footer

campy

Scott forever has a place in my heart, since tossing me his mic when performing at the NorVa in VA. They'll hire him back. STP isn's STP without Scott Weiland.

static

Scott's a nut case but they need him more than he needs them so let's see what happens.

me

So... who want to pay over $100 a ticket to see STP without Weiland, raise your hand.

:crickets:

James H

Looking forward to the next "Talk Show" concert coming soon to a shopping centre near you.

mrharrybawls2012

My beloved 10 year old son Geoffrey had tears streaming down his face after reading this news. What are we supposed to tell our children about this terrible news?? What gives these heathens the right ??I am beside myself with anger right now. Damn Stone Temple Chowderheads!!!!!!

A Concerned Parent

Sir Boo

Why is this relevant?

jess

Good luck without him dudes. Yes I say that with massive sarcasm.

Virtual Insanity

There is no STP without Scott Weiland.

Nadiadamit

Can't replace a single member in that band. Scotts voice is what I hear when I think of STP. sucks.. you guys did not mention Interstate Love Song. Trippin on a hole in a paper heart...Dead and Bloated..Oh well. They will work it out.. they always have. A girl can hope. SCOTT~ BEHAVE

Frodusgirl

That sucks... ASS

Kimo

Hang it up already

LISA

This is one of my favorite bands. I thought Scott had major substance abuse issues, but was sober now? Is he off the wagon or is it 'creative differences'?

mamajj

Scott is STP. PERIOD!!

Tim

Hey Slash, ya busy??

Kris

Sorry, but as much as I think that Scott is a douche, STP is nothing without him. They might as well throw in the towel and call it a day! Shame because STP have made great music over the years!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments