Carly Rae Jepsen

Cancels Boy Scouts Concert

They're Too Homophobic for Me

3/5/2013 10:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0305_carly_rae_jepsen_boy_scouts_article_gettyCarly Rae Jepsen has officially pulled out of a HUGE concert for the Boy Scouts of America ...  claiming she wants no part of an organization that doesn't support gay rights.

The "Call Me Maybe" singer had been booked to perform at the National Scout Jamboree in Mount Hope, West Virginia in July, along with the band Train.

But moments ago, Jepsen tweeted that she's yanked herself from the festival ... squarely because of the group's ban on openly gay scouts and scout leaders.

"As an artist who believes in equality for all people, I will not be participating in the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree this summer," Jepsen said.

She continued, "I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level ... and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe."

FYI -- Train has also backed out of the show ... but says they will be happy to re-join the show IF the Boy Scouts reverse their anti-gay policy.

They're still waiting ...

0920_gay_pride_footer

aaron

Sending my 11 year old son on a campout with openly gay men is out of the question! Some places, it's not acceptable--this is one of them!

Mary226

Who cares about this no talent.

TheRealJerseyShore

And after she released the news about not performing, she headed right over to Chik Fil A for a sandwich and then ordered her dinner from Poppa John's.

Lindy

Openly gay is against the christian dogma so they don't allow it..Boy Scouts are a christian group i am sure they will find other singers..

Nate

Brilliant move. She agree to do it only so she could make a big statement when she backs out. Genius!

Truth

"believes in equality for all people" --- You don't believe in equality for people that don't share your opinion. Hypocrite. Enjoy your one hit wonder status forever.

Dirk DuBois

I'm sorry, but the Boy Scout's stance on homosexuals in their organization is not a secret. Both Carly and Train knew about it when they signed their contracts. If they cared, they never should have signed the contracts in the first place. Once they did, they had the legal responsibility to perform.

I hope the Scouts sue their asses off. There is no excuse for this.

And, yes, I would feel the same way if a music group signed a contract to perform for a pro-gay group, and then tried to back out because they couldn't perform for such a group.

A contract is a contract. Don't sign one if you have moral concerns about the group hiring you. But once you sign it, do your freakin' job!!!

TheRealJerseyShore

Losers like this make me laugh. She will boycott this organization but she doesn't have a problem performing in countries that are notorious for their human rights violations.

Mary226

I am so tired of people who push their own agenda with no respect for the freedom we have to disagree. If I don't want my young boy to have boy scout leader who is openly homo that is my responsibility as a parent. I like gay people but would not put my son in a tent with a gay friend overnight. Use some common sense people.

Sickoffamewhores

So lets get this right: so now she's against ordinary heterosexual people? Sounds like a NAZI.

PJ in Texas

The lesbian and gay community demands we respect their beliefs YET they have no intention of respecting ours.

Ih8Taxes

Yup, deprive the kids because of a decision made by the adults that you don't agree with. Stupid...

PJ in Texas

The Boy Scouts were going to pull a Train on Carly but after she found out they didn't believe in the Gay lifestyle she PULLED out of the party.

maureen

Aside from the fact that her backing out is only hurting kids who have nothing to do with what the organization believes, I find it very troubling that celebrities would in a sense "bully" an organization to "change it's viewpoint" on how they feel about homosexuality. I have several friends who are openly gay and would never feel the need to "bully" someone in order for them to do something for them. People who are against supporting gay rights have every right to not support that, just as the people who support have the right to do that as well.
This to me is BULLYING and bullying in ANY form is wrong!!!!!!
Shame on them!!

Hgraves

Good! Hopefully their concert flopping will be a big enough wake-up call to the Boy Scouts of America organization to finally support the LGBT community. Right now they look like homophobic douchebags.