Matt Lauer

I'm Down w/ Anderson

Replacing Me on 'Today'

3/27/2013 7:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0327_matt_anderson_05
Sources connected with NBC tell TMZ ... network honchos approached Anderson Cooper about the possibility of replacing Matt Lauer on the "Today" show at some point ... not immediately but at some point.

There is a story on Deadline.com that Matt made a call to Anderson to express his disapproval   ... TMZ has confirmed that is inaccurate and that call never happened.

In fact, sources connected with the network and Lauer tell TMZ that Lauer is actually on board with the idea of Anderson replacing him ... and he actually planned to have a meeting with Anderson to sit down and discuss it. We're told Matt put that meeting on hold because of a negative article that appeared in "NY Magazine" a few days ago.

buggsy16341

Keep Matt! Did you folks crying foul over Ann ever watch the show?? She was AWFUL!! Overly dramatic "I sympathize with you" interviews came off as condescending and cheapened the stories! Matt does a great job.

Sara

I'd watch if Anderson Cooper was hosting. My mother doesnt speak a lick of English, but she would always watch her "And-ehr-sohn". She cant get enough of him and was upset when they canceled his daytime show.

Bitchplease

He came from money. He could have probably never worked a day in his life if he didn't want to. He choose to work. To report things some people are terrified to report. He was tying people's bloated bodies to signs during Katrina so rescuers could find them. A mom lost her children in the tsunami & Anderson used his time to search every morgue until h found her babies & brought them home. He goes above & beyond. What has Lauer done? They don't do anything close to that. He genuinely cares. Hell I've met the guy, really sweet. Very humble & couldn't thank me enough for coming to the show. Doesn't sound like a bad guy to me.

paul a.

Anderson has class. Matt is an ass

Susan

I say YES YES Replace Matt, Savannah & Al. Start with a clean slate.

CamJ

Oh yes, I'm sure Lauer is 100% on board with losing his job, just like Ann Curry was. What goes around...........

Mag

Oh PLZ Beotch!! Shut up! Cannot stand him!

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Good choice never cared for Matt. Anderson will boost rating for sure

paula

Glad to see Matt go. I stopped watching after they fired Ann. The two female cohosts look like twins! I can hardly tell them apart. If Maria S. joins then I will know for sure the show has a type cast problem. All the females look related!

RaisingStar

I love MATT! And have for years. I know he's getting tired so I'm sure I will love Anderson.

Stacy

Wish they had more news casters to choose from as far as replacing Matt. I Really don't want to look at Anderson that early in the morning either...

Ulm

As long as.... hm.... you deleted my comment about pianos I do not know.

Livvie

Wouldn't this be a total downgrade for Anderson? He's the host of a primetime show and NBC and the Today show REALLY suck.

bobjet47

Anderson by a very long stretch. I live in Montreal, and Cooper did more and has way more guts to try out new stuff that the other looser. Plus Anderson is not there to cash out because he already is a belizionaire. He does it cause he is passionate instead of the other one who becomes passionate when he looks at himself in the mirror. Please make the change and more Canadians will become fans of Cooper. He is way more cool

Spicy mag

Does anyone like Matt lauer? Besides his mom?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments