Pastor Rick Warren

Famous Evangelical's Son

Commits Suicide

4/6/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0406-getty-pastor-rick-warrenThe youngest son of Saddleback Valley Community Church pastor Rick Warren has committed suicide after a long battle with mental illness.

Pastor Rick made the announcement Saturday at his church in Lake Forest, CA. He informed members of his congregation that his son Matthew took his own life Friday night. He was 27.

The church also released a statement, saying, "Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many. Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Rick is famous on the evangelical circuit -- he's the author of numerous Christian books, including "The Purpose Driven Life," which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. He also founded Saddleback Church in 1980, the 8th largest church in the U.S.

Monica

I don't care why he killed himself. Isn't clinical depression/mental illness enough of a reason? Can we please stop making EVERYTHING a 'gay' thing?? My mom was a lesbian and I don't give a crap about gay or straight but it's not ALL gay-based. That aside, rick warren is a piece of bigoted, homophobic s*** who has cursed himself with misery through his hate, and recruiting other people to hate with him.

Gretel

Just this once I'll give TMZ credit for proper English. Using the word "battle" is exactly what so many mentally ill people live with. It's like being haunted or having a cancer that keeps coming back and keeps coming back. Suicide for other reasons may be the cowardice some of you say it is, but suicide because a person is consumed by mental illness may be the only peace they've had from living in hell for years. Sad, sad, sad.

August

His son killed himself AFTER mental health "TREATMENT"...not before!

Senseofreality

RIP

Suzy Q

Look at who's photo is on this story and every other media outlet. Is it Matthew's? No.

He was raised by this narcissist, who even in his son's death, has to have his photo on the story.

People commit suicide so someone will feel guilty. I'm betting it was Daddy and Mommy he wanted to get back at.

moveover

Maybe instead of thumping his bible and spewing his fairytale about an imaginary man in the sky to a bunch of gullible idiots, he should have spent a little more time tossing a baseball with his son when he was young.

summerjay

enough hate. how dare anyone accuse Rick warren of hypocrisy. he is not in it for himself. he suffers from anxiety and didnt even want to be a pastor because of public speaking. clearly he has been blessed by God since his church is thriving. the love of money is the root of all evil. he is not greedy. I have attended that church and the money they pour into missions and back into the community is beautiful. prayers to the family and the church for this loss

Suzy Q

Psych 101:

Depression is not sadness. It's anger turned inwards, as the person feels unable to express his/her anger.

Anger is the overlay for fear.

People who commit suicide hope that the person they hate/fear the most will feel guilty. But, as it seems in this case, the target(s) are too self involved to care.

Unless Matthew has a history of treatment and a professional diagnosis, I wouldn't believe the father.

Has he asked for donations yet?

nonexample

Oh man. Some days it is a second at a time to hold on. My compassion truly extends to all who are dealing with simply holding on as best they can. If that is true for you--whomever that msy be--hold on, get help, reach out. To the son, RIP. To his family, peace also. No judging.

LDB

welcome to the 27 club, matthew

spader

The thing that really creeps me out is when he describes his son as "gentle". Sounds to me like Christian code for Gay.

toni

Your son is with his heavenly father now.I too have a son that suffers with depression. I feel your lose and know God has him now.

puhleeeese

Some really ignorant comments on here. Unless you've been clinically depressed, don't judge someone else's situation. A motivational speaker can't "talk" you out of depression. It's a chemical imbalance. Also, every depressed person is not dealing with homosexuality.

romba

So he was gay and knew he'd be killed if he came out.

Divinity

I pray for the family during this rough time. My brother is 35 and diagnosed with Bipolar and he was talking about suicide w/ my mom the other day. It is something that scares me. Depression is no laughing matter.