Annette Funicello

Legendary Mouseketeer

Dead at 70

4/8/2013 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0408_annette_funicello_01

Annette Funicello -- the undisputed queen of the "Mickey Mouse Club" -- has died, according to Disney's official fan club Twitter. She was 70.

Funicello was a triple threat -- Mouseketeer, pop singer and bigscreen star. She was huge in the 60's with movies like "Beach Party," Bikini Beach," and "Beach Blanket Bingo."

According to "Extra," Annette had been hospitalized in Bakersfield due to complications from multiple sclerosis and had been in a coma.

Funicello disclosed in 1992 that she suffered from multiple sclerosis. She lost the ability to walk in 2004, could no longer speak by 2009 and required round-the-clock care.

040813_annette_mmc_launch
Annette was bigger than Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling combined. She was the fantasy -- largely because of her breasts -- of millions of teenage boys.

Paul Anka -- who dated Annette way back in the day -- tells TMZ, "She was a lovely lady. She was a great star. It's a very very sad ending."

040813_paul_anka_launch
Frankie Avalon -- who starred with Funicello in a bunch of those 60's beach movies -- tells us, "She was a very courageous gal that fought and fought and fought ... I'm devastated. I loved this gal." Click below to hear the interview.

040813_frankie_avalon_audio_launch
Back in 2011, Annette's house caught on fire. She managed to escape without serious injury ... but her neighbors later sued Funicello claiming the blaze caused damage to surrounding homes.

040813_annette_bb_launch
0408_Annette_Funicello_footer_v3

ERIC IVES

my condolences to her family and friends. i used to watch the mickey mouse club all the time and annette was my favorite. what a beautiful lady. RIP, annette, God bless, and thanks for the memories.

Mark

TMZ you should be ashamed about the breast comment. Show a little respect and class. You have reached a all time low.

RIP - Annette Funicello. :(

BEEF58

What the heck? She wasn't popular largey because of her breasts, she was flat when she was a mouseketeer.

hendoo19

I grew up watching Annette on the MMC. I still have her 45 of "How Will I Know My Love," her first hit. She was my first crush! Annette was born in Utica, New York and I just outside of Utica. Our grandmothers worked together at one time and her aunt and uncle lived next door to my in-laws. She was the greatest. I, for one, will never forget her! Rest in peace Annette! I will always love you! <3

bob

God bless her and may she finally rest in peace. She suffered for such a long time. Much longer than anyone should have to. You were loved by millions and will be missed Anette.

Mary Edmonson

For all of us who lived the original Mickey Mouse Club back in the 50's, this is a sad day. Annette, the forever Mousketeer, is now pain-free and running with the wind. God bless her family, especially her husband who was so dedicated to her.

King Anton

RIP Annette

TJ

What a wonderful contrast to the Kardashian family! They don't make them like Annette anymore! Wholesome!

marsha pitter

curious...what complications come from MS??

I do know it is a very serious....and complicated disease....and living it with it is PURE HELL...

thanks

Steve Halloran

A truly great and beatiful woman. A great star. Now she is at peace. i had a friend who died of that horrible desease and believe me, She's better off. Rest in peace, Annette.

Margo

She was a beautiful woman! Rest in peace nice lady

Laura

She was beautiful, inside and out. Rest in Peace, Annette.

surfer john

omg! i new it would happen some day. annette we love you..rest pretty lady....

George

Miley Cirus should take note of what a classy child star should be like. Annette was a true lady!

jim Kraskouskas

The heart's of millions of boys born in 1946 are broken today, our first heart throb.