« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Pat Summerall

Dead at 82

4/16/2013 2:09 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0416_Pat-Summerall_getty

Pat Summerall
-- a staple on CBS and Fox Sports who famously called NFL games with John Madden for decades -- is dead at 82 ... a Fox Sports exec tells TMZ.

Pat -- a former NFL star kicker with the Lions, Cardinals and Giants -- was inducted into the American Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame in 1999.

Summerall called the Super Bowl in 1982, the highest rated Super Bowl of all time. 49% of the country tuned in to watch the 49ers defeat the Bengals.

Summerall called 16 Super Bowls.

Cause of death has not been revealed.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says Summerall's "voice was treasured by millions of NFL fans for more than four decades" -- and "always represented the essence of class and friendship."

0416_pat_summerall_remembering_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

LiquidSchitz

The guy was delusional in his later broadcasts. There were times he didn't even know where he was. RIP Pat.

bbwlover1969

To me football was Madden/Summerall on Sunday. One of the best announcing teams ever. Thanks for the memories.

Barry McCockiner

Oh, and his second wife, Cheri, a helluva gal. John Madden, George and I used to go out for Mexican food (Madden can eat pounds of the stuff). When we got home, Cheri would have three toilet bowls lined up for us (they had a really big bathroom), and as we ****, that doll Cheri would come to us one by one giving us her famous blumpkins. Oh my stars! First John would pop off, and that guy could blast a load across the room. He would always yell, "Boom!" when he would blast her in the face with a load. I was usually second, and she acted as TP for me. But old George, well, he just liked to stroke it and watch mostly. A helluva couple.

Jim in Cali

Damn grew up on Madden and Summerall doing all the big NFC games (especially Dallas/SF in early 90's) Great stuff. RIP Pat

john johnson

r.i.p. pat, you were one of the best.

Chuggly

Sad news. He had a good life, that's all any of us can ask for Ask not for whom the bell tolls

mrharrybawls2012

John Madden is such a handsome young man. Why didn't he make the leap to motion pictures?

Mr.Mackey

Lots of beloved folks passing away lately. Sad!!

Eric

Favre...Favre...Favre...Favre!

See, I'm just as good as he was.

zombie

Awwww man. I loved this dude. Hate that the old timers are dropping like flies.

Timmy Boy

Never heard of him

Barry McCockiner

I remember fondly as Michael Landon used to blow George and me through the fourth stall glory hole at Candlestick Park. And the ******s from John Candeleria. Oh my.

SkoobySnacks

Reading the posts on here helps me understand how terrible of a state this world is in. R.I.P Pat, all good things inevitably come to an end.

eicarr

he almost made sports seem interesting.

DeeMaree

Pat thanks for all the excellently announced football games. You and John were my favorites. Condolences to Pat's family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments