'American Idol'

JLo WILL Return

Asked to Replace Mariah

4/24/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0424-jennifer-lopez-mariah-carey-AI
Jennifer Lopez
has been approached by Fox execs to return to "American Idol" for the balance of the season ... to replace Mariah Carey ... sources connected with the network confirm to TMZ.

We've learned Lopez will appear on the now ratings-challenged show on May 16 to debut her new single, but Fox has bigger ideas -- they want to stop the hemorrhaging quickly and bring the former judge back on the show.  The Hollywood Reporter first posted the story that JLo could be returning.

And the show is in trouble.  Last week's ratings were the worst since the show debuted in 2002.

Sources tell us Fox is scrambling to find a solution, and ironically they think Lopez could be the answer.  We say ironically because network execs would not ante up the cash JLo wanted to stay on the show this season.

We're told as of now ... no deal has been made.

UPDATE:  A Fox spokesperson tells TMZ ... "This is just another ridiculous "Idol" judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer performing on the finale."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

IwuvTMZ

The musical chairs continue.

Grandma Cracker

Good choice, and I don't really like Jennifer that much either............

mrharrybawls2012

How ironic they replace Mariah Carey with Jay-Ho-who cannot sing at all. Pull the plug on this ((((GONG SHOW)))).

Dwight

Mariah is not the problem, IMO. I absolutely cannot stand Nikki. I have watched the show for the past five years or so, but can't do so any longer. She's like nails on a chalk board for me. Others might love her, but not this cat.

Desiree Powell

The fat lady is singing...

Barbara

Get rid of that other female twit. She is the reason I do not watch.

Carl

Steven Tyler was more interesting than her (how many one liners did she have?). Eye candy isn't enough to save the show.

Wow ...

I haven't watched the show or allow it to be on in my home because of Nicki. If they are going to replace anyone it should be her - not Mariah.

Swedeslvr

If JLO comes back so will I!!! Get rid of the Nicki skank too!!!!!! Keep Keith urban!!

Brandy

I like Mariah, They should replace Nikki

Tinny

Mariah is not the problem, Its Nikki and I dont know why they can't see that. the only reason i am still keeping up with the show is for my S.C. native, hoping we finally get a winner from our state. other than that , the show is pitiful, their is no chemistry between Nikki and Mariah, and I don"t blame Mariah. The world has blown Nikki heads slam off her body.. and she needs to find it and stick it back on the correct way.. its one thing to be an entertainer but its another thing when its Nikki..even the younger people that once loved her around my way.. are very disappointed with her actions and mouth.. right now.

Meomy

The producers always misunderstood the audience. They were always showing rap and hip hop to an audience that did not want that. Nicki put the final nail in this coffin!!

trini_angel

Seriously?!? A legend being replaced by a no- talented (can't sing, dance or act to save her life) diva so she can come flaunt herself in little dresses and promote her screechy songs YIPPPPPPEEEE!

LOLOL

That show is trash. Cancel it.

LOLOL

Only people in places like Kansas actually watch that show.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments