Lil Wayne

CANNED By Mountain Dew

Over Emmett Till Lyric

5/3/2013 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503-mountain-dew-lil-wayneLil Wayne will no longer "do" Mountain Dew ... the soda company announced it's DROPPING the rapper over a rap verse in which he compared the beating of Emmett Till to rough sex.

Wayne was a major spokesperson for Mountain Dew --starring in several commercials. Wayne began appearing in Dew ads in early 2012. Mountain Dew is owned by PepsiCo.

It's unclear when PepsiCo will stop running ads featuring the rapper.

Weezy came under fire back in February over a verse he dropped on the song "Karate Chop" ... in which he said, "Pop a lot of pain pills, 'bout to put rims on my skateboard wheels ... beat that p***y up like Emmett Till."

FYI -- Till was 14 back in 1955 when he was beaten beyond recognition, shot and dumped in a river ... after he was accused of flirting with a white woman in Mississippi. His open-casket funeral and murder trial were early flashpoints in the civil rights movement.

Wayne had sent a letter to Till's family -- saying he's sorry their feelings were hurt by the song ... but the family REJECTED the letter, saying the statement "falls short of an apology."

cyre

seriously what is wrong with these rappers??
i mean is it possible to be that dump? First there was this Rick Ross thing.."put molly in her glass" and then this? i mean how dump and brainless they are? I mean did they ever go to school? college, preschool maybe? Serioulsy i am speechless about the emptiness of rap music lyrics right now. it seems that these guys only know about 3 words: *****, ***** and money.
seriously what a bunch of serious serious douchebags.
i am beyond words.
they should all go back to kindergarten...just to maybe learn about few more words....
just saying....

Cricket

Good. However, they never should have hired him at all. I realize they need, young, popular and fresh. There are too many other choices, enough with the idiots. I also realize Wayne is no genius, but how shameful for a black man to make such an irresponsible lyric. Sad.

ThaQueen621

Mountain Dew knew the vulgarity of Wayne's lyrics before they signed him. Was it really a surprise that his ignorant ass rapped that Emmitt Till verse??

Robert L Birt

I have a history of activity in the Civil Rights Movement that landed me on a list of students to be killed by the Los Angeles Police Department. Why do firms like Pepsi and General Motors pay rappers. I do not like the Rap Music and the Rap artist

q

What exactly did he do to cross a line he hasn't already crossed? They sponser that bafoon to be the bafoon he is. They hire these people to be their hook. WTF? These *******s act like they didn't know who they were getting in bed with. Like they didn't listen to any of his vulgarities before signing him. He should sue their asses under those pretences.

Vanessa

What an ******* this little **** is! No matter how long time its gone its still a human life you disrespect your pothead! I hope every sponsor pull the plug

HappYdayZ

This new trend of hiring rappers then firing them over "lyrics"is genius, the controversy gets more bang for the buck, suddenly I am thirsty for a mountain dew!!

HappYdayZ

I guess little Wayne clearly cheating on mountain dew with his true beverage of choice that purple drank! Lmao wasn't a problem, but now they have issues using his "image" hahaha

wally912

These corporations only care about their image and political correctness. They don't really care about the Till family at all. Don't be that naive people. With that said it couldn't have happened to a better guy. This guy is a arrogant little prick and he's been given way too much credit over the years. It's about time someone stopped putting up with his bull but it kills me how these huge companies are pimpming out the HipHop culture just to sell something. Jerks like Lil Wayne don't represent the HipHop I have grown to love. To be honest white corporate America created this monster. Being the loser that he is, you people still gave him a ton of money to be an @s---le, you tell him he's the biggest success ever, and now you're upset. I don't get it. Next time pick a real artist Mountain Dew.

NOT ELMO

Lil Wayne
CANNED By Mountain Dew......................HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

jengin79

That is so stupid of Mt dew. What happened to creative expression.

et√raw kwg

That's good but he has said a lot of gross comments on his records why has it taken this long for the Pepsi people to find him inappropriate? Lil Wayne ya got to give that Go DJ, I'm the fire man, man I got cake like everyday my birthday! Feel back..Trust true fans don't care about your male genetalia or your sexual habits! We still were you use to be....Hero up boy! 47%er I need you to come Blood clean from the soul!

Honeybee0018

I find it so sad. At least he said he was sorry. Maybe if he was more educated on Black history then he wouldn't be making poor choices like that.

Cris

Dear Till Family,

I can tell by Wayne's response that he is deeply sorry for the offensive lyric, however, I also want you to know that until this I had no idea who Emmett Till was. In Rap one must be careful of every word said including the words "I'm Sorry" and "I love you" as it shows weakness to other rappers. It deeply saddens me what happened to your son and without Wayne's lyric I may have never known who Emmett was. God bless you Emmett and enjoy Heaven.

If you find it in your heart to forgive Wayne then please write a letter to Pepsi Co. and let them know that you've accepted Wayne's apology and Wayne, If the Till family saves your endorsement, while $100K is nothing to you the amount of joy brought to the Till family will not go overlooked by God.

Good luck and God Bless!

Cris

Dear Till Family,

I can tell by Wayne's response that he is deeply sorry for the offensive lyric, however, I also want you to know that until this I had no idea who Emmett Till was. In Rap one must be careful of every word said including the words "I'm Sorry" and "I love you" as it shows weakness to other rappers. It deeply saddens me what happend to your son and without Wayne's lyric I may have never known who Emmett was. God bless you Emmett and enjoy Heaven.

Good luck and God Bless!