'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

theresa ream

My husband and I really loved Jeanne Cooper, she was a great great actress, May you rest in peace, you will be greatly missed , you made the young and restless what it is!

turneyb

she will be sorely missed

rkhicks

Have watched Y&R since the very first day...Katherine, you salty old broad...lol from another salty ol broad...you Will Be Missed!

Starwatcher2012

I loved Mrs C. Rest in peace Ms Cooper!

Carol

I also love watching her on old shows on MeTV. Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, Perry Mason,
RIP Jeanne.

brenda

I remember watching her on The Young and the Restless when I was a young mom. Loved the soap operas. Rest In Peace. My condolences to her family

latestdiets.net

she was so hot about 65 years ago. RIP

tracy

I feel like I knew her. Watching her everyday she became part of the family. She will be missed terribly. I am sorry for her childrens loss.

tracy

I felt like I knew her personally. Watching her everyday you feel like you know them. How sad.She will be terribly missed.

Archie Palmer

Wow, what a great loss. Mrs. C was the Diva of daytime TV. it also started me watching a soap opera. Meaning this was the only one I watched. My friends joked about me knowing so much about the storylines. Real men love a classy woman. You will be missed

Kathryn

there will never be another Katherine as great as she.

suzy

I loved her so much. She was the star of the Y&R and was a first-class actress.

Mei

As far as I am concerned, she was the Young and the Restless. Sympathy to her family and friends.

Elvis

WOW she was a good one, I remember seeing her when I was a kid, I always liked her Spunk on the show, You were Great Jeanne, go high on that mountain, tell George Jones we miss him too........

Mariann

Thank you, Jeanne, for 40 wonderful years with Mrs. Chancellor. You are without a doubt a daytime Grande Dame. You will be sorely missed!