'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Eileen Ryan

Oh, too sad! Y&R will never be the same again. RIP Jeanne, you were the best !

mindy

I have been a fan of Young and the Restless since the lat 1970's. She is a legend that will truly be missed.

Sue Leger

Sorry to have heard this afternoon about the loss of a legend Jeanne Cooper! Y&R will never be the same without her. It was my favorite Soap Opera, and her character was so strong, You had better not cross her; or you had better look out for she would get even with you. You rest in peace Mrs C!

Teresa Hart

My heart is so sad,you will be dearly missed.May you RIP Katherine Chancellor...<3

marktomesek

She was thee BEST! She will be truly, truly missed!

Sean

Jeanne Cooper. RIP God Bless you, you have entertained me since the beginning of Y&R. I loved every time you were on the show. I will truly miss you. I hope Y&R does something very special in your honor. An episode of people remembering you over the decades. That would be so special for a great actress. I will miss you. You made Y&R my #1 Soap for decades.

breezybre

Y&R will not be the same.....

myopinion

RIP Mrs.C

Diana K

A fine actress I enjoyed watching her over the years. She truly will be missed by all. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and to The Young and Restless family! A CLASS ACT!

Squiggles

Undisclosed illness? How about "old age"?

JLorraine

I have been a Y&R fan since the beginning. Katherine and Victor are my favorites. It will never be the same in Genoa City. May God bless Jeanne's family.

Suzie

I am heartbroken. This lady has been in my home since the first Young & Restless was shown. My prayers go out to her family and friends. She was a great lady and will be missed. I will miss her sassy character. Thanks for the memories, Kay.

connie

I will miss her on the show It wont be the same without her. She was a great actress. And iam sure a great person.

MsBerry65

Such a wonderful actress. Will truly miss her! Rest in Peace, Ms. Jeanne Cooper. May God bring Comfort and Peace to her friends and family.

Jamaykan

RIP Mrs C.
Thanks for all the drama! I loved you through it all. Watched you since the beginning and watched you all of last week. Will miss you!