« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Laird Hamilton

Jet Ski 'Clowns'

RUINED MY SURFING SPOT!!!

5/18/2013 2:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0517-laird-hamilton-tmzLaird Hamilton's latest surfin' safari was a TOTAL DISASTER ... all because greedy jet skiers have overrun and RUINED the Tahitian spot he made famous ... the surfing icon tells TMZ.

"They are so much more concerned with catching the next wave than with other surfers," the 49-year-old big-wave pioneer said. "The chaos of the jet skis' movement has a circus-like aspect. Some behaviors were borderline clownish."

Laird recalls several near-collisions at his famed spot off of Teahupo'o this week ... even a few wipeouts caused by wave-grubbing jet skiers thrusting themselves in front of boarders.

"I watched a few surfers go down hard," he said.

0517-teahupoo-surf-sub-up
He's also taking issue with the number of wave-riders taking crazy risks just to capture video ...

"They're all wearing a bunch of cameras, taking off on waves they have NO chance of making," Laird told us. "They drop in just so they can have a photo of themselves ... 'Wow, look at me!'"

For the uninitiated ... back in 2000, Laird became a major name in surfing after dropping into a dangerous monster wave at the Teahupo'o break ... forever cementing it as a go-to spot for big-wave surfers.

The irony -- he was only able to do it by being towed in ... by a jet ski.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tgrfan42069

speaking of clowns.this guy looks clownish bitching about people jet skiing in the ocean.last i checked he doesnt own the ocean.they were there first to bad to sad.

KartrashianKow

Waaaaahh Waaahhhh Wahhhhhh! Big Ol crybaby....nobody cares!

Phishie from Philly

Like, god forbid man. Cool
Phishie from Philly

BB not bb

Isn't it going to hurt if you get hit in the head with a crashing jet ski? Are there lifeguards there? I wonder if they could split the times so one time is just for jet ski's and one time is for surfers. I can see that these jet skiers could ruin the vibe. They are not really in tune with the ocean.

It is like when you are in a little canoe or kayak on a lake and some big speedboat goes by. Some people get upset by that, cause they could nearly tip over from the waves. Motorized craft and human powered craft don't mix well.

People surf because they enjoy nature. I think they should be allowed to enjoy it without the interference of motorized vehicles.

Daniel Taylor

Boooo, hooooo, hooooo

Mary P

People railing him for "whining" - apparently no one remembers Usher's stepson being killed in a jet ski accident? He was struck in the head by a jet ski while in an intertube. Surfers would be in similar situations. His point isn't that jet skis themselves exist or are out there - but the idiots on jet skis don't know what they are doing out there and they are running against or right next to people (common courtesy, you just don't ride a jet ski near anyone on surf/boogie boards, wind skiiers, tubers, etc.

His point is they are stupid and doing dangerous stuff that is going to get themselves or others killed just for "cool photos".

BTW, it's not "ironic" a jet ski pulled him. They do that for surfers but they don't go riding around their heads. That's like complaining about snow mobilers going out on a ski course to rescue a skiier.

King Anton

waaaaaaaah I can't be rich and live by the ocean the way I want to, WAAAAAH! Cry me a river u ****in jerk off!

BB not bb

I think I know what he means. I can picture these guys on fancy jet skis thinking they are smarter than the surfers and laughing at them when they outmaneuver them on a wave. They are probably just punk wise guys. Surfers used to be really rough and beat up people who messed with their order. I heard they would chase you down and beat you up just for dropping litter on the beach.

Maybe they are scared to act up in a country like Tahiti and get thrown in some foreign prison. It really looks like chaos on that wave though. The fun of nature is ruined when there are a ton of people around showing off.

BB not bb

It looks like there are sixteen people on that one wave. Surfers used to take turns seeing who would catch the next wave. If one person caught it, the others would hold back. These jet skiers are like wave hogs. I guess they have the SUV's of the ocean and can try to intimidate the people on smaller vehicles.

I wonder if it is a conspiracy to ruin the sport of surfing. I can't imagine any self respecting athlete thinking that this is cool.

Chaps

Let them kill themselves. Getting rolled with a ski will kill a few and then it will stop.

In the meantime, let the cameras roll.. I wanna see some of those skis getting sucked over the falls.

Chaps

Its not a very clean spot... A fat double lip with an undulating deforming tube as the wave crosses varying depths of treacherous coral reef.

This clip shows lots of wipeouts by guys who appear to be riding perfectly... remember though they didnt necessarily work up to big wave riding, but may be average surfers towed in easily.

You can bet their heart was in their throat the entire time.

Chaps

HA HA

static

Get back to me when you have a real problem *******.

Stephen

Sounds like white people problems to me.

en Todo Momento!!

dang. that jet skiing looks pretty fun tho. can't hate them for just wanting to have fun out in the ocean.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments