Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Hotwheelz

light my fire on the Ed Sullivan show

cb1234

RIP. Good article>> http://snip.ps/RayManzarek

James

I used to be obsessesed with X, some of whose albums he produced. He really helped them along in their very early days.

lissabirdie

Tell Jim I said Hi! And thank you for the beautiful music!

smyles_eh

Put on a heck of a show at the 2012 Kitchener Blues Festival. Thankful I got to hear him. Rest in peace.

linda

RIP Ray. A REAL ARTIST AND TALENT. Not like todays digital bull. Music,lyrics,etc. Where did they go?

Erwin Kettmann

Heroes never die! It was super to met last year in 013 Tilburg THE netherlands. See you in heaven one day. Erwin

hans

ray you told me how to grap the melody of positivity!
don't know if this is proper englisch but greetings to you man!
Hope you rest in peace. I adore you.
Hans

Fred

Ray was my keyboard teacher. He never knew that, of course -- I never met him -- but in 1968 I was so taken by his keyboarding that I emulated it, including the left-hand bass technique. 45 years later I still get to do that sometimes with my church music team. They're amazed by it, but I just think to myself, if you think this is good, you oughta see the guy I learned it from...
Still listen to their music, and to this day I still occasionally hear things I never noticed before -- little instrumental "goodies" tucked away in the songs by Ray or Robbie or John.

Fred

The BarrRat

Yep, and people fell for Hughes trollness. Because you can dish it out but can't take it. All should bow to Syd Barrett and Donovan. Posers.

liz

This is like OLD news . Cant you guys get current?

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8