Ray Manzarek

Traveled to Germany

For Cancer Treatment

5/21/2013 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0521_ray-manzarek_getty"The Doors" co-founder Ray Manzarek traveled across the world to seek out special world class treatment for his rare form of cancer ... which is why he was in Germany when he died, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Ray's most recent band -- The Manzarek-Rogers Band -- tell us, Ray did tons of research on the best places to get treatment for his bile duct cancer ... and his search led him to the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany.

As we reported, Ray eventually passed away at RoMed yesterday.

According to sources, Ray broke news of his cancer to the band in March ... and traveled to Germany shortly after.

Up until Ray told his band about the cancer, we're told they had no idea he was sick. Ray had repeatedly just told them he was "tired," so the news was a shock.

Manzarek's next appearance was scheduled for August at the Orange County Fair ... but that's obviously been canceled.

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Phreaky

I believe this is what Farrah Fawcett did too - went to Germany for cancer treatment. Their track record over there doesn't seem to be so good.

Shoozie

I hate cancer! We need to find a cure for this and all other killer diseases sooner then later. Rest in Peace, Mr. Ray.

Mumra the Ever Living

The rich and famous have always traveled to foreign countries when they get a terminal disease. France for AIDS, Germany, Brazil, and Mexico for Cancer are just a few examples.
It is somehow comforting to know that I live in a country (USA) that is still, despite recent draconian cuts to all kinds of research budgets the leader in research for cures of literally hundreds of terminal diseases.
It's also kind of comforting to know that if your rich, you can pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to make yourself look younger - surgery, bizarre extracts from various animal glands, rejuvenation creames . . . all manner of crap. But when your time is up, no amount of money is gonna make that grim reaper go next door.
deficit omne quod nasciture - basically, if you are now alive, you will one day be dea

billybob

For some reason Ray didn't trust American doctors. Maybe he did some strange Sauerkraut-therapy over there...

Saints fan

RIP Ray. Your music will live on in the hearts of millions forever.

Brandt

Ray's playing was a staple of The Doors. He'll certainly be missed after such a long and fruitful career helping to create such haunting music. The Doors' songs opened my mind to other realms of possibilities and cleansed my perception. I paid tribute to Ray when I heard of his passing by creating a new portrait of him and some melting doors which you can see on my artist's blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2013/05/in-memoriam-ray-manzarek.html Drop by and let me know how The Doors influenced you too.

Angela

I personally know someone who has travelled to the clinic in Germany for cancer treatment. They are free of cancer and have been healthy for a few years.

Gianna

My husband and I saw Ray perform with Robby in 2011, I'm so sad to hear of his passing, he was one of a kind.

MadTatter

Anyone else have trouble posting to Tmz sometimes? Bugs the F outta me. Now, no one will have the ultimate pleasure of reading my long, detailed paragraph I wrote about 5 minutes ago. RIP Mr. Manzarek

Diane

Germany & Japan are doing cutting edge cancer therapy that's not approved by the FDA. Big Pharma doesn't like the competition. It's pricey--around $50,000--but if you catch the cancer in time they have a very high cure rate. Google Klinik St George in Germany. I'm just sorry Ray wasn't one of the lucky ones.