Philip Seymour Hoffman

Entered Detox

For Narcotic Abuse

5/31/2013 8:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0530_phlip_seymour_hoffman_article
Philip Seymour Hoffman just got out of detox for a drug problem that was spinning out of control ... a problem he desperately wanted to nip in the bud ... and he's already back doing a movie.

Hoffman -- who struggled with substance abuse in the past but kicked the habit for 23 years -- fell off the wagon more than a year ago.  He tells TMZ it started slowly with prescription pills, and recently escalated to snorting heroin.

Hoffman -- who won a Best Actor Oscar in 2006 for "Capote" -- tells us the heroin use only lasted a week or so and he quickly realized he needed help, so he checked himself into a detox facility on the East Coast.

He says he was at the facility for 10 days and checked out last Friday.  Hoffman credits what he calls "a great group of friends and family" for helping him seek the treatment he needed to get better.

And at least for now, it seems it worked, because Hoffman is clean and back on a movie set in Europe.

0530_philip_seymour_hoffman_footer_v2

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

KARMA K

Happy for him!

Cartman

When was butter declared a narcotic?

Carl

This is how a person serious about recovery does rehab. He realizes he has a problem and goes in quietly. When you announce to the world you are heading to rehab, or won't go unless a judge forces you, then rehab becomes a joke.

Grandma Cracker

In the 23 years he was clean the disease progressed without him. When he lapsed he was in deep and did the right thing. Best wishes for him and his continued success and recovery......(-;

Tony

10 days aint gonna kick a heroin addiction... betcha he's real itchy and i dont mean skin rash ..

Deweycheatemandhow

Good for him. The East coast has some actual rehabs, like Silver Hill in Ct, and Caron in Phil, not spas like Promises. We've had clients go there-if you have good insurance they take it BUT the celebrities are kept separate now. A client came back and said it was loaded with rich kids who started on Oxy and then heroin and were forced by their parents to go so they weren't exactly supportive.

Thank goodness Lohan said no to Seafields in the Hamptons-gotta get someone in there soon or court will take away kids

nealsmithwe45

Life is so lonely .I am a rich single man at present .I need a woman who can love me back .I also uploaded my hot photos on....RichŴoo.Com.,.under the name of Jeffery189, u dont have to be a millionaire,but u can meet one there...if you girls see this comment,i hope you will check my photos out there.maybe you are the one whom i’m looking for!!LO
fasfs

EMB

How hard is it to just say NO to serious drugs. Its common sense.

T-Bag

Opiates are a very difficult drug to get clean from. The terrible physical withdrawal is actually not the worst part. It stays with you mentally forever. You have to make a decision every day not to use. You dream about it, yearn for it, cry for it. I am happy that he is back on the right track. I've watched friends die from this, watched myself shoot up despite a fear of needles and come back around.

JrzGrl

Nothing like kicking somebody when they're down. I wish we could give ppl peace in their life when they need it most. I don't need to know this. Life is difficult. Best of luck to him.

It Be Me..

Gob Bless him and remember just take it One Day At A Time.

bbwlover1969

You can tell the ones that want to get clean and sober, because they're the ones that don't make a big show of it before they go in. They just go in, get clean, and don't talk about it until they're out.

iKShawk

Wow....didn't even know he had a problem

Rush Limbaugh

I have a drug problem too. However I only abused them for a week. Seriously man, I only did it for one week, and I only had one beer, on just one night, just one time. I'm being honest here.

Jericho Morton

So going to these vastly expensive 'treatment centers' which isolate them from the drugs they seek and buy THEMSELVES and allow 'psychologists' to suggest to them not to take them only really works (is 'supportive' in BS parlance) if the group of wastrels decide not to take drugs together with big jazz-handed happy-slappy rubbish about them being good people? Until they just decide to do it again - erhh 'relapse'? No wonder 'health care' is grotesquely expensive, along with the terribly diseased gluttons who got the 'disease' of obesity by stuffing their fat greedy faces until they get laughed at? No wonder 'insurance' is so expensive and unreachable for ordinary people because we have to love the greed and selfishness of these filth. Some are more equal than others, in such utopias.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments