Paula Deen

Food Network Blames

Paula's Abysmal PR Team

6/22/2013 1:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621-paula-deen-food-networkPaula Deen's PR team botched her n-word apology so badly ... the Food Network had no choice but to fire her, sources close to the network tell TMZ.

According to our sources, her management's clumsy damage control -- backing out of the Matt Lauer interview and releasing multiple lame mea culpas -- was the primary reason the Food Network pulled the plug on the celebrity chef.

We're told the apology videos were the last straw -- clinching the Food Network's decision to drop the ax on her. And if you've seen the videos, it's not a big shock. (Apology 1, Apology 2)

But the silver lining ... we're told Paula's son Bobby Deen will be spared ... his Food Network show "Not My Mama's Meals" won't be affected by his mama getting the boot.

Might want to rename it though.

Faye Tackett

We gave second chances to physical abusers, dog killers, liars, cheaters, World Trade Center bombers (the first time ), but Paula Deen is to be crucified. I doubt that most people today would even be familiar with the word ****** if it weren' t used by so many blacks and rappers. This is such a double standard.
I agree that derogatory slurs of any form are unacceptable, so NBC should refrain from allowing anyone on their programing that uses such language regardless of their intent. I' m tired of people that keep the damn civil war going. It's over you morons...oops I just made a slur.

For Sooth?

It's been made quite clear what the Food Network will gloss over ( literally) and what they won't. FN's taste is all in Giada's red glossy mouth. She has never looked better as their version of a Blow Up Doll presenter. Perhaps they can go one better and have John Mayer play softly in the background to heighten the sexual tension for their viewrers because that is the game they are playing each time they put her on camera. John can make some sort of comment like he didn't realize that she was taller than groin height. Rim shoot! Oh, did I say that??!! I sure did because NO ONE is calling them out on their crap.

They must all get their rocks off to her and they throw Paula out with the dish water.

Krystal

Enough already ..... she is not news worthy.

goaway

News alert, there is a job opening at the Food Network channel. Hopefully it won't be a relative of one of the other cooks. Time for some new talent.

lucy

You guys saying "rappers use that word" just STOP. The difference is when the N word is used as a derogatory name and description. And you know that too, I hope all of you are just pretending to be ignorant. EVERYONE knows the difference, NO ONE is buying this "but black people use it all the time" crap; it's about the way you're using it, that's the obvious difference - black people know it, we ALL know it. Quit trying to use that laughable excuse for using it or to defend those who do. It's embarrassingly hilarious how many are thinking that people are sincerely agreeing with that observation. Do yourself a favor and just read everyone else's comments. My grandfather tried to bring racism into our family and I gave him a good verbal whipping and he never tried conditioning me or my cousins again. I didn't want anyone to know that that kind of trash was in MY family. It was shameful that someone in MY family was racist - leave that for the weak and insecure.

yaegerj

Yes, it has been said in the commenting below, but I too want to say, that just because the food network wants to piggy back onto Paula racist comments in the past, your network is know different. Paula at least told the truth upfront, but the food network discriminates behind close doors, by not hiring enough black chefs on their network, so Food Network, your not fooling me.

Achild

The Food Network was just looking for an excuse to fire her.

lucy

I think if Paula Deen read some of the comments being made in her defense she might be outraged. You guys are really doing her a disservice. She'd probably get mad about the racist remarks more than y'all think because she has black friends whom you are also offending. Y'all are doing a worse job for her than her own PR team. She might actually tell some of you guys off herself.

beachgal

Slimy pig paula needs to take her racist ass & go crawl in a hole far far away. Pffft. jmo.

Jan

Paula and her husband should retire and enjoy their senior years. Her PR team and the media screwed her. She used the N word YEARS ago like many Americans did YEARS ago. The media leaves that fact out.

Ddallas

This a media driven witch hunt that has more to do with the spectacle of a fall than with what is right. Take everyone off the air that discriminates based on age, race, sex, religion, income or weight and who would you have left. The result of this may also be people of color losing their jobs if her business fails. Who are you really punishing here?

Pookie

She wanted tap dancing black men at her brothers wedding and ran a restaurant that routinely degraded its black staff. It's not just the word, it's the casual (or in some cases overt) racism of a public figure that is the issue here. Food Network really didn't have a choice but to fire her. If they hadn't, it's almost as if they're condoning it. There needs to be repercussions for her actions, what she did and said is not harmless, it is hurtful.

goaway

When you have 10 million viewers, there are consequences to your actions. The word is so degrading...still don't understand why anyone would use it ....regardless of skin color. Find it offensive.

Maggie

I love Paula Deen. She has worked so hard to make it. You have to realize the attitude of people in the south is different to ours. I know she has several African American pals who work with her and have helped make her business a success. And I feel she meant no disrepect. What botthers me is the way we tread on such egg shells to be 'politically correct.' Yet it's fine for black rappers to use and teach the "N" word all day long. You really want us to omit it from our vocabulary?,Then stop using it yourselves!

lucy

I think when people try to excuse the inexcusable, instead of trying to accept the failure or mistake, it only makes it seem that their heart really is that cold, that it wasn't just a slip of the tongue. I'm not at all perfect, I've made plenty of mistakes, and in order to be fair and equal I couldn't spare myself; I had to cut my losses, apologize when I had to, and move on. It isn't easy to say we were wrong but it's necessary. You don't see anyone respectable making excuses for messing up - they take it. Paula Deen seems to be doing that now, no, we are not her "judges" but if you're going to use "judging" in that context then we're going to have to also retract our judgements in the cases where people were hurting, murdering, and raping; could be freed everywhere as long as they apologized. No one would ever have to pay for hurting someone else. That isn't justice, that isn't freedom. Those who've offended you and your loved ones could just keep doing it and you can't say anything about them, because then you also are "judging." Please, don't use that cliché or excuse where it doesn't apply or belong.