« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Aaron Hernandez

DROPPED BY PATRIOTS

'It's the Right Thing To Do'

6/26/2013 8:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0620-aaron-hernandez-article-getty-3
The New England Patriots have DROPPED tight end Aaron Hernandez in the wake of the NFL star's arrest early Wednesday morning ... and the team says the move was the "right thing to do."

23-year-old Hernandez was a rising star with the Patriots and signed a 5-year contract worth $40 MILLION just last summer.

The Patriots just released a statement saying, "A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation."

"We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process.  At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

Officials have not announced what Hernandez has been charged with so far ... but the charges will be revealed when Hernandez appears in court for his arraignment later today.

update_bar
8:55 AM PT -- The NFL has issued a statement ... saying, "The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling."

8:53 AM PT
-- The Patriots are scrubbing any trace of Hernandez from the organization -- removing all A.H. merchandise from the team store ... and erasing him from the official roster on the team website.
 0626_aaron_hernandez_arrest_photos_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

My 2 Cents

Damn. Couldn't even see if he was innocent first, smh

Boy Gary

Whoa what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Makeitlegal

Does he still get paid since he still innocent until proven guilty?

Mason

Once a loser thug....always a loser thug.

Skywalker

good that he gets dropped just like paula deen. she is a racist who discriminates against her black employees.

IN MY OPINION

QUICKER THAN I THOUGHT! lol

I SHOULD HAVE SAID AN HOUR.

I steal pets

O.J, anyone? I bet this guy has been a jagoff bully his entire existence. Sports are pointless and football is blatantly homoerotic. Let me put my hands on a guys scrot while he bends over and then men in tights can aggressively pile on top of eachother. Nuthin' weird about that.

gegeok

Damn... He wasn't even convicted... NE..is full of shyt...# spygate

Jon

I guess killing people bothers the NFL I really never thought they would mind.

IN MY OPINION

How long before his trial? That's the key question.
~
He is going to probably post bail (unless denied) and he'll be free until convicted (if convicted).
~
I expected New England to get rid of him.

timmybeans

could cost him $37 million http://snip.ps/BigCost

MjR

Guilty until proven innocent....it's sad but that is how society has turned. BUT I think he knows something or did have his hands in it. He definately shot the friend down in Florida and he should be arrested and charged in that case no matter what happens with this new shooting/murder.

Toilethead

Very sad situation and the Pats did the right thing.

lulu2009

Wow! Not a fan of NFL or this guy, but what the hell happened to "innocent until proven guilty"??????

Azi

My guess is there's some conflicting statements by the people at his home that night. Regardless of the outcome, this guy is F(_)CKED !

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments