« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Trayvon Martin Verdict

I'm Ashamed to Wear U.S. Flag

Says Black Olympic Boxer

7/16/2013 12:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_trayvon_martin_george_zimmerman_boxer_article

U.S. Olympic boxer Terrell Gausha is so disgusted over the George Zimmerman verdict ... he's vowing to never sport the red, white and blue again.

Gausha -- who boxed in the 2012 London Summer Games -- started wearing the American flag on his boxing trunks after his Olympic run ... but tells TMZ he's done with that now in the wake of Zimmerman's acquittal in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

0715_Gaushavs_Caplinger_Article
Terrell adds, "How can I wear my stars and stripes proudly in a country where they make a big deal out of Mike Vick fighting dogs; but not a young innocent black male's life."

Gausha added, "When I represented my country in the Olympics I was proud to wear my flag. I even wore it on my head on the way to the ring. What happened this weekend was a slap in the face."

Gausha has turned pro -- so he's not eligible for the U.S. team in 2016 -- but doesn't sound like he's interested ... telling us he refuses to rep a "nation with so much racism and hatred."

0716_proud_american_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bedeviler

I am Choctaw and a disabled vet. I find it sad that so many people just think of racism going 1 direction. Everyone else against blacks. Look at the BET Awards and you get a great example of racism. They only recognize black performers. The Emmy, Grammy, and Oscar Awards all lost cases decades ago for only recognizing white performers. Mr. Hughley showed a great example of racism when he said "All whites are afraid of blacks." How does he know this? He doesn't know it. In truth, everyone, no matter what the color are equal and are American if you are a citizen. When you make divisions of people, you are encouraging racism.

Grannylewis66

i am so tired of hearing how black men are mistreated. Look at the white guys who get killed by blacks & never make the news! Mr. Hughley needs to look around. Not all white people feel like he says they do. How about Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, shot in head by black kids In Brunswick, Ga. , while in his stroller.No death penalty for them cause they are minors!! It all comes down to who makes the news!!

judy

George Zimmerman got away with committed murder. Watch your back if you can see over that fat A*SS

judy

George Zimmerman committed murder. ! and got away with it.

Vern

Terrell, if you feel that way about "your" country I then feel that toward you. We are Americans first! If you had any intelligence and followed the "evidence" you will understand that RACE was not even considered. That low-life race baiting al sharpton and jess jackson are the reason for this lie that is being portrayed in our media. Wake up America do not listen and ignore the fake attempt at race baiting. Move on.

Heather

All media should stop showing photos of 12 yr old Trayvon Martin. They should all show the most recent photos of him, with his tats, bulked up body and over 6' tall. Media & certain groups are trying to make this a racial thing, when it's NOT. Please lest us all have a bit of faith in OUR Justice System - even though it's flawed. Let "OUR" American Justice System do its' job...though flawed, the American Justice System is the best & fairest in the world today.

combine

Since you couldn't figure this out, I'll help you. Dogs do not have a choice. They are innocents. However, a 6'1" guy using his fists does. Very simple stuff. Also, since you don't want to represent the US any longer, why don't you return to the country where your people come from?

robert

well don't wear the us color and at the same time go ahead nd leave this coutry u r not good enough anyways

Heather

All media outlets need to show Trayvon Martin the way looked right before he dies, stop showing pictures of an innocent looking 12 yr old kid...he was 16+ when this incident occurred & he no longer looked like a sweet little kid. Let's al have some faith in our Justice System & "Let It Be"

mel

wow,,i guess that means your giving up all that american money,,freedom etc to,,the right to excel,,the right to a fair trail,,the right to not be racist,,which right now its racism in reverse,,if trayvon had been indian,,amer indian,,or white,,would you still,do the same thing,,of course not,,

boo

All these supportors act like they were there!!!!! Give me a frickin break!!! The justice system has spoke...you don't like it leave and go to another country! So SICK of hearing about this gangster wanna be TM. All these celebrities and so on act like they seen it...sorry but if someones banging my head on concrete I'd shot them too!!!!

Marc Hirsch

And he knows exactly what happened...how? The only person in the world who's alive today who knows what happened is George Zimmerman. I don't know what happened....and neither does Mr. Gausha. So, please do away with the PC nonsense. The entire event is tragic;, but please spare us all the "tragedy' of wht happened, when none of us knows the answer.

Matt

I am tired of these people putting down MY AMERICA..if he is ashamed of the American flag..then go some where else you maggot

Sean

And the award for most biased and non-objective comment section ever goes to... drumroll please

Headache

Gausha equating Michael Vick to Zimmerman......................what a fool............Terrell please go to some other country and represent them........................oh.................oh.................no way, you want to stay here to see how much money you can make at boxing in this screwed up country............guaranteed Gusha has never been a member of this countrys armed forces and I will bet the mortgage he is not even a registered voter. Mr Gushua, can you tell me honestly what level of education you have.............................lol