« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Trayvon Martin Verdict

I'm Ashamed to Wear U.S. Flag

Says Black Olympic Boxer

7/16/2013 12:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_trayvon_martin_george_zimmerman_boxer_article

U.S. Olympic boxer Terrell Gausha is so disgusted over the George Zimmerman verdict ... he's vowing to never sport the red, white and blue again.

Gausha -- who boxed in the 2012 London Summer Games -- started wearing the American flag on his boxing trunks after his Olympic run ... but tells TMZ he's done with that now in the wake of Zimmerman's acquittal in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

0715_Gaushavs_Caplinger_Article
Terrell adds, "How can I wear my stars and stripes proudly in a country where they make a big deal out of Mike Vick fighting dogs; but not a young innocent black male's life."

Gausha added, "When I represented my country in the Olympics I was proud to wear my flag. I even wore it on my head on the way to the ring. What happened this weekend was a slap in the face."

Gausha has turned pro -- so he's not eligible for the U.S. team in 2016 -- but doesn't sound like he's interested ... telling us he refuses to rep a "nation with so much racism and hatred."

0716_proud_american_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Tracey

I love how people LOVE to bash this country, its president, AND each other FOR SPORT. Then when someone like this stands up FOR REAL, they are vilified. I hope you people choke AND DIE on your f-in hypocrisy.

Jenny Naude

Then why don't you move to Africa? They hate whites there just like you do... then you can be a proud African and drop the American... I meant to say America does not need sad sacks like you...

Gayle

Did he feel the same way when the murderer OJ was found not guilty. I'm so tired of all these so called "famous" people jumping on the bandwagon each time it's NOT a black on black crime or a black on white crime. If they are going to take a stance, take a stance for equality.

dstown57

Truth be known it is not proper to wear the American Flag!

The U.S. Flag Code, section 4-(d) states: "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery...."

If you want to display the flag on a personal level, there are options available for patches and pins which are appropriate, respectful and patriotic.

char

It'suinbelievable to me how the President and DOJ can seriously talk about charging George under civil rights acts when absolutely no evidence found by FBI,State and Local Police and a jury. But yet in the Fort Hood massacre he shot and killed soldiers while yelling the words allahu akbar, which was yelling his allegiance to the militant islamic's. The President nor DOJ will call this a hate crime and a terriosts act to help the families of the slain for compensation. The President and DOJ have called it work place violence. Now thats outrage thats something people should be marchimg the streets over. what part of allahu akbar didnt they understand or was not any blacks slain in this shooting to care. Tavis Smiley was on CNN andsaid about the Sandy Hook shooting that it got national attention by the news media and sympathy because the children were white. Are you kidding me? He's suggesting that had the children of sandy hook been black or itwouldn't have got the news media it got? I say had it been black children it would have gotten more attention and turned in to a racists and hate act. What planet do these race baiters live on?

TPF

Good USA doesn't need a thug representing them anyway. You wouldn't be treated as good as you have in in any place other than the USA, dumb-ass! You are nothing mire than an ignorant racists like Sharpton, Stevie Wonder,Jesse Jackson and many of the tv commentators that are only trying to stay in the spot light. Black violence seems to be okay in their world and that's what makes it a racial thing. Black on black killing are running rampant in this country and it's just as wrong and should not be happening. Every life has a meaning.

Brian

First of all, Bro. You're not supposed to " wear " the American flag. And second, you don't know and didn't hear all the facts in the case.

kgg

It seems like some people's ingrained racism is keeping them from realizing that Zimmerman never would have needed to defend himself if he hadn't purposefully stalked a person after being told to stop doing so. If I were walking home at night and some man started stalking me, you'd better believe I'd first verbally and then physically attack him if he didn't go the hell away. Do you people really think Zimmerman would have started following Martin if he had been a white kid? That's where the racism comes in - he saw a black person and he assumed 'criminal'. If you can't see that is wrong, you deserve to be shot yourself.

Brad

He can leave the country if he does not like it.

Stephanie

Then get out. I am sick of tired of people cherry picking which crimes they want to make a stink over. And when you leave, take Al Sharpton and his band of merry idiots with ya, thanks!

Kaeso

He is a shame to all Americans, as well as those protestors who are clamoring for justice for Trayvon. Ugh, Terrell and other celebrities who do this really bring a bad name to America.

dennis

are we saying it would be ok if itwas a white kid killed cause frankly thats what i'm getting

k1ckbacking

Im from Australia so dont really know the complete story of this whole George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin case but anyone who can say Michael Vick's situation with all the poor dogs he killed "NOT A BIG DEAL" doesn't deserve to be a citizen of a beautiful country like America

k1ckbacking

Sher

I had hoped that this was the result of a stupid female jury that was 'afraid' of black men. But the posts that I have seen since verify that this is definitely a NATIONAL problem, and we are still FULL of racism. I wasn't ashamed until I read the posts that tell the real story of this nation. :( So disgusting