Dennis Farina

'Law & Order' Star Dies

Blood Clot In Lung

7/22/2013 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0722_dennis_farina-2

Dennis Farina -- who starred as Det. Joe Fontana on "Law & Order" -- died today in Scottsdale, Arizona after suffering a blood clot in his lung. He was 69.

Farina is a Hollywood legend -- who appeared in tons of classic films and TV shows including "Get Shorty," "Snatch" and "Midnight Run." He also appeared in HBO's series "Luck."

Farina -- who was born in Chicago in 1944 -- is survived by his 3 adult children from his marriage to Patricia Farina. They divorced in 1980.  He also has two granddaughters and four grandsons.

Farina's rep says the actor is also survived by "the love of his life of 35 years, Marianne Cahill." It doesn't appear the two were ever married.

Before he became an actor, Farina was a cop with the Chicago Police Department from 1967 to 1985.

Story developing ...

robocop

One of the BEST! No method b.s. acting -- just the real deal. RIP

John

RIP Dennis. You personified the best of the good and bad guys from my own hometown. You will be missed but the laughs are on film. God bless!

Hannah

One of my all time favorites. You will be missed. Condolences to your family and friends.

Dennis Burns

Great actor and yes he was a cool
dude!°!! RIP Dennis

AH

Mr.Farina did seem older. I really like his acting. Always the tough guy. RIP

NancyA

Rest in Peace, Always liked his acting.He will be missed,

smcmahon

i loved watching mr farina on Law and Order he was an excellent actor and will be greatly miss my condolences to his partner and all his friends and co workers and may he rest in peace

Joe Macaluso

RIP Mr.Farina.
It was great working with you on Get Shorty.
My Sincere condolences to your family.

Stehanie Otto

You will be missed deeply missed. I just watched a movie, last night, called. " Last Right's Of Joe May. " 2011. You were my hero, in Law and Order..
May Peace Be With You....

Harleynut

One Star dies and one is Born?

Openfly

GET SHORTY,SNATCH....I really like your characters and will miss you,but I will Always watch these movies.

ktowell72

The last time I saw him on t.v. was the show "Unsolved Mysteries" he was a great host of the show,He will be greatly missed.

Joe

Rest in Peace Dennis Farina!!

bob ruehl

I just watched the last rites of Joe May and he was terrific.R.I.P Dennis.Chicago will miss you.My prayers are wit him and his family

PoGotcha

R.I.P. Dennis. It was an honor to have worked with you…You taught me a lot.