Oprah Winfrey

Gets Swiss Apology

After Racist Incident at Purse Store

8/9/2013 7:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0809-tmz-oprah-switzerland
The entire country of Switzerland is begging for Oprah Winfrey's forgiveness ... after a racist shop assistant in Zurich refused to show her a handbag because it was "too expensive" for O.

The incident occurred last month, when Oprah was in Zurich to attend Tina Turner's wedding ... and walked into the upscale Trois Pomme boutique where she noticed a $40,000 handbag.

When Oprah asked to see it, the shop assistant refused -- insisting it was out of O's price range. RACIST!!!!

Oprah described the exchange to "Entertainment Something":

"One more time, I tried. I said, 'But I really do just want to see that one,' and the shopkeeper said, 'Oh, I don't want to hurt your feelings,' and I said, 'Okay, thank you so much. You're probably right, I can't afford it.' And I walked out of the store."

Now, Switzerland's national tourism board has issued an apology on behalf of the country -- saying, "We are very sorry for what happened to her."

The board also begged for Oprah's forgiveness on Twitter ... saying the shop assistant "acted terribly wrong."

FYI -- Oprah reportedly made $77 million dollars last year ... so, suck on that racist shop assistant.

0809_oprah_winfrey_through_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dingo Ate My Baby

She should have said "ok forget the bag I'll buy the store."

Areader

They better watch out or Oprah will buy Zurich!

A Dinosaur

There goes your commission.

fastdriver

Oprah's probably MORE pissed that the shop assistant didn't know who she was!

Laura

She was too nice--I would have brought in the cameras and watched the little racist twirp squirm. She could of really had fun with this moron!

@iAMTIMWILSON

Let's see how many "N" word comments this story gets... Hahaha!

mrharrybawls2012

We are supposed to feel sorry for Oprah Windbag because she was not able to purchase a $40,000 handbag. Meanwhile , there are people in Los Angeles living in a cardboard box on the street......

Hobie

How is this race related? I'm white and I've encountered plenty of condescending retail clerks in higher end stores. She'd probably do the same thing to Bill Gates - sizing him up by looking at his $40 calculator watch, Members Only jacket, and old loafers.

izzykay

fun fact: the owner of the shop actually attended Tina's wedding as well!! And she stated that she does not see any wrong doing in the sales persons behaviour, and she fully supports her and will not fire her under no cir***stances. She says she didnt act out of racism but it was a misunderstanding because the purse was behind security glass and she didnt wanna take it out of there. Yes I know it does not make any sense at all but thats the shop owner's statement - they do not judge by faces she said, it was just a misunderstanding.

jill

Dumb store! You would think a store that sells 40 K purses would have seen oprahs picture.

and if oprah can not afford a purse... WHO can???

DEBBIE

Not everybody knows Oprah. Maybe she didn't have makeup and her spanks on. Without that she looks like anyone else. Also she could have thrown her name out there, just to see a reaction if nothing else. So don't make an international incident of it.

Phyllis

Miss O had Class even in the face of an A--

CelebJustice

I don't see how this is racist. Elitist and assumptive, definitely, racist, not so much.

Spunky Funk

LOL - she doesn't know who Oprah is.

dude

I think what the clerk meant was 'this bag isn't big enough to contain all of Oprah's snacks"

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments